Audiotest is returning ImportError:cannon import name '_args_from_interpreter_flags'

Hey everybody. I’m just getting started here, and I’m having some trouble. Mycroft wasn’t responding to me when I talked to it, so I ran an audio test. Here are the results.

bash start-mycroft.sh audiotest
Initializing…
Starting audiotest
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/audio_test.py”, line 17, in
from speech_recognition import Recognizer
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/speech_recognition/init.py”, line 8, in
import subprocess
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py”, line 50, in
import signal
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/signal.py”, line 21, in
import mycroft
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/init.py”, line 20, in
from mycroft.skills.core import MycroftSkill, FallbackSkill,
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/skills/core.py”, line 33, in
from mycroft.client.enclosure.api import EnclosureAPI
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/enclosure/init.py”, line 26, in
from mycroft.client.enclosure.display_manager import
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/enclosure/display_manager.py”, line 40, in
from mycroft.messagebus.client.ws import WebsocketClient
File “/home/jo/mycroft-core/mycroft/messagebus/client/ws.py”, line 17, in
from multiprocessing.pool import ThreadPool
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/pool.py”, line 26, in
from . import util
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/util.py”, line 17, in
from subprocess import _args_from_interpreter_flags
ImportError: cannot import name ‘_args_from_interpreter_flags’
[jo@lovelace mycroft-core]$ sudo vim /usr/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/subprocess.py

I haven’t been able to find a lot on google about this issue. I’ve already tried uninstalling and reinstalling python. Do any of you know how to solve this problem?
Thank you very much for your time.

Hi @JoSturman, thanks for flagging this.
Can you please provide some more information which Linux distro you’re running Mycroft on, and which version of Mycroft you’re running?

I’m running Arch with the kernel Linux 4.16.11-1, and the Dev branch of Mycroft-Core that I installed using the command ‘git clone https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-core.git && bash /home/jo/mycroft-core/dev_setup.sh’.
I appreciate your help with this. I’m very excited about this project, and I am looking forward to being able to participate.

Thanks @JoSturman for reporting this. I installed a clean mycroft-core on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and was able to reproduce the issue:

kathyreid@kathyreid-N76VZ:~/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core$ ./start-mycroft.sh audiotest
Initializing...
Starting audiotest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/audio_test.py", line 17, in <module>
    from speech_recognition import Recognizer
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/speech_recognition/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    import subprocess
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/subprocess.py", line 364, in <module>
    import signal
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/signal.py", line 21, in <module>
    import mycroft
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
    from mycroft.skills.core import MycroftSkill, FallbackSkill, \
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/skills/core.py", line 33, in <module>
    from mycroft.client.enclosure.api import EnclosureAPI
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/enclosure/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from mycroft.client.enclosure.display_manager import \
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/enclosure/display_manager.py", line 40, in <module>
    from mycroft.messagebus.client.ws import WebsocketClient
  File "/home/kathyreid/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core/mycroft/messagebus/client/ws.py", line 17, in <module>
    from multiprocessing.pool import ThreadPool
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 26, in <module>
    from . import util
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/multiprocessing/util.py", line 17, in <module>
    from subprocess import _args_from_interpreter_flags
ImportError: cannot import name '_args_from_interpreter_flags'

I’ll liaise internally to get this raised as an Issue in GitHub.

Identical problem after installing mycroft_core on a raspian_stretch distro. I’ll try with the stable version, mycroft core works fine on my laptop (debian stretch). I’m not very familiar with git: how can I download the stable version? #Forget my question, I just found out.

Apparently, same problem - provided that I really used the Master.
First I tried to install from the zip created by github when I loaded the ‘master branch’ but the install didn’t work because dev_setup didn’t find a .git folder. Then I cloned from that branch. Nevertheless I cannot see any difference since the URL seems identical to the dev branch. It seems I missed something.

Edit: Ok I found out how to activate the setup in the master branch initially downloaded as a zip file.

BTW , mycroft core (dev branch) works fine on my laptop but the audiotest gives the same error message, so the fact that mycroft on my raspian stretch’s doesn’t work (wake up & speech recognitiondon’t work) is probably not a related issue.