Booting Mark II from USB drive different from the one included in the DevKit extremely slow

Hi!

I built and installed the Mark II DevKit and it’s working fine, with an acceptable booting time and good response times.

Since I need to make some developments and tests in the Basque language, I bought another USB drive, and when I burnt the downloaded OS image into it and booted the Mark II, it took much much longer to boot than the other USB drive. The WiFi connection process took ages, and now it is saying that it needs to be activated but does not show the pairing code although I have waited for half an hour…

Why is it so slow? The USB drive bundled in the DevKit had 16 GB and the new one has 64 GB. Might this be the cause? If not, what? The new one is USB 3.1, the provided one I do not know… What are the required features of the USB drive to boot with normal times, such as the ones with the provided drive?

Thanks,

Igor

Apparently, it was due to the USB drive brand. I guess the boot system does not have drivers for all USB drive brands, only for the most usual ones. I risked and bought a USB drive of the same brand as the one that came with the DevKit, and it works fine.

Although it is true that this new one is 32 GB, so the problem could be due to the 64 GB size, but I think the first cause one is more probable. Not gonna buy another one of the DevKit brand and 64 GB for cehcking…

Hey Igor, sorry I missed the original post.

It’s very true that not all USB’s are created equal and depending on where you buy them you might get fake branded versions. Rather than the total disk space available the read/write speeds are the likely culprit. So if you need more space, you can definitely get a good quality larger drive, just need to do some research on exactly which one.

We are sending out every single Mark II using the exact same USB model so that we can control for this. It’s not the top of the line but it’s certainly good enough for the purpose.

OK, thank you very much!