Easiest Mic/Speaker option for Raspberry Pi 3?

just testing P3 eye camera

Very good sound recognition …
better than logitech webcam which may be too smart for own good as far as sound level mgt.

However after 4 successful “hey mycroft” the system hung on a play wave … see below
( maybe the no response prob is due to the wav player not the myscroft server )
e.g. answered share price and then hung

2017-02-09 08:04:35,628 - mycroft.client.speech.listener - DEBUG - STT: what’s the share price of ibm
2017-02-09 08:04:35,629 - SpeechClient - INFO - Utterance: [u"what’s the share price of ibm"]
2017-02-09 08:04:38,962 - SpeechClient - INFO - Speak: the share price of ibm : $176.17 (IBM, NYSE, 4:00:00 pm EST, Wednesday, February 8, 2017)
Playing WAVE ‘/tmp/tts.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
2017-02-09 08:04:58,682 - mycroft.client.speech.mic - DEBUG - Recording…
2017-02-09 08:04:58,687 - SpeechClient - INFO - Begin Recording…
Playing WAVE ‘/home/pi/wavs/shipbellring.wav’ : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo
2017-02-09 08:05:00,545 - SpeechClient - INFO - End Recording…
2017-02-09 08:05:00,546 - mycroft.client.speech.mic - DEBUG - Thinking…
2017-02-09 08:05:00,547 - SpeechClient - INFO - Wakeword Detected: hey mycroft
2017-02-09 08:05:00,552 - mycroft.client.speech.mic - DEBUG - Waiting for wake word…
2017-02-09 08:05:00,640 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - Starting new HTTPS connection (1): api.mycroft.ai
2017-02-09 08:05:01,928 - requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool - DEBUG - https://api.mycroft.ai:443 “POST /v1/stt?lang=en-US&limit=1 HTTP/1.1” 200 None
2017-02-09 08:05:02,128 - mycroft.client.speech.listener - ERROR - list index out of range
2017-02-09 08:05:02,129 - mycroft.client.speech.listener - ERROR - Speech Recognition could not understand audio
2017-02-09 08:05:02,131 - SpeechClient - INFO - Speak: Sorry, I didn’t catch that
Playing WAVE ‘/tmp/tts.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

We have noticed an issue with the raspberry pi analog audio. Even using aplay repeatedly can cause a hang.

Yes I was using an analog audio speaker and it hangs … will try changing to hdmi with rasp-config

I got a PS3 eye camera for less than $6. Works almost too well… it catches speech from the TV across the room.

1 Like

It is HIGHLY directional.

Hi Karl!

I have a question, does mycroft (the software) work together with https://creator.matrix.one/#!/index ?
Any place I found a similar question, as here above me or on the creator.matrix forums, the question stays unanswered. Is it in someway a “stupid” or “immodest” question?

1 Like

Hey!

As of now, I’m not sure. I don’t know of anyone having done so yet. I also don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. I think it has been done, but can’t find any info on it.

I do really like it. I’m also thinking about pre-ordering the Matrix-Voice as that would definitely put the hardware on-par with an Alexa or Google Home.

Update: I totally pre-ordered the Matrix Voice. I’ll probably post something cool whenever I get it. (May?)

2 Likes

Matrix Voice looks very interesting project … a cut down Matrix-Creator board losing temp pressure etc to lower the price.
This pimori speaker Hat board would be great a Mycroft speaker … and the led display could indicate Mycroft status. out of stock however.

1 Like

I bought the SpeakerpHat and haven’t gotten it to work yet out-of-the-box. Granted, I’m not a schooled coder, but the “picroft” doesn’t recognize it. Getting this error after running Pimoroni’s install script:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

Thoughts?

Hey did have you had any success with the Speaker pHat and picroft? I’m having the same issue and can’t seem to find any way to fix it.

Not yet. I figure I have to start over with Rasperian and install Mycroft on that. Picroft seems not to work with SpeakerpHat for reasons I am not nerdy enough to debug.

Anyone with info on Bluetooth setup it, pointers/external references would be appreciated! We’re lacking it in the wiki.

People on slack have found that the matrix.one is currently INCOMPATIBLE with picroft.

I’m using a cheap Adafruit adaptor with a cheap electret microphone capsule.

Mycroft certainly responds to questions if I stand 3m away, although as my man-cave is quite small, this means I’m standing outside the room in the hallway. Not bad!

I’m not using the audio out from the Adafruit (I have a seperate amp/speaker on my rig) but I’m pretty sure this could also be made to work.

From where should I give audio input. Is it from my phone through which I connect to wifi MYCROFT.

Did anyone try this speakerphone/mic combo from Hamlet? It’s quite cheap (around 10 euro) and it should be supported under linux (from the windows drivers I see it uses a CMedia CM106/108 chip).

http://english.hamletcom.com/products/hskvoic.aspx

I use the Google AIY voicehat. It also includes a button.

I made a diskimage for it that works out of the box, and that updates with the regular picroft updates,

Just finished designing a custom enclosure that will be printed next week.

Tjoen

5 Likes

What 3D tool is your customer enclosure designed with. Where can I get the native CAD and STL files, if available?

This is for the v1 voice kit, as pictured in your post, right?

Hi there @urbite - the Mark 1 printing files are at;

Is this what you were looking for?

Actually, I was looking for tjoen’s custom enclosure for the Google AIY kit. This was referenced in the post prior to mine. But thanks for the Mark I links, they will be a good starting point for other designs.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, just read this. Still haven’t uploaded the design… :frowning:

Lazy bugger me…