Easiest Mic/Speaker option for Raspberry Pi 3?

We have noticed an issue with the raspberry pi analog audio. Even using aplay repeatedly can cause a hang.

Yes I was using an analog audio speaker and it hangs ā€¦ will try changing to hdmi with rasp-config

I got a PS3 eye camera for less than $6. Works almost too wellā€¦ it catches speech from the TV across the room.

1 Like

It is HIGHLY directional.

Hi Karl!

I have a question, does mycroft (the software) work together with https://creator.matrix.one/#!/index ?
Any place I found a similar question, as here above me or on the creator.matrix forums, the question stays unanswered. Is it in someway a ā€œstupidā€ or ā€œimmodestā€ question?

1 Like

Hey!

As of now, Iā€™m not sure. I donā€™t know of anyone having done so yet. I also donā€™t see any reason why it wouldnā€™t work. I think it has been done, but canā€™t find any info on it.

I do really like it. Iā€™m also thinking about pre-ordering the Matrix-Voice as that would definitely put the hardware on-par with an Alexa or Google Home.

Update: I totally pre-ordered the Matrix Voice. Iā€™ll probably post something cool whenever I get it. (May?)

2 Likes

Matrix Voice looks very interesting project ā€¦ a cut down Matrix-Creator board losing temp pressure etc to lower the price.
This pimori speaker Hat board would be great a Mycroft speaker ā€¦ and the led display could indicate Mycroft status. out of stock however.

1 Like

I bought the SpeakerpHat and havenā€™t gotten it to work yet out-of-the-box. Granted, Iā€™m not a schooled coder, but the ā€œpicroftā€ doesnā€™t recognize it. Getting this error after running Pimoroniā€™s install script:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239: (snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream

Thoughts?

Hey did have you had any success with the Speaker pHat and picroft? Iā€™m having the same issue and canā€™t seem to find any way to fix it.

Not yet. I figure I have to start over with Rasperian and install Mycroft on that. Picroft seems not to work with SpeakerpHat for reasons I am not nerdy enough to debug.

Anyone with info on Bluetooth setup it, pointers/external references would be appreciated! Weā€™re lacking it in the wiki.

People on slack have found that the matrix.one is currently INCOMPATIBLE with picroft.

Iā€™m using a cheap Adafruit adaptor with a cheap electret microphone capsule.

Mycroft certainly responds to questions if I stand 3m away, although as my man-cave is quite small, this means Iā€™m standing outside the room in the hallway. Not bad!

Iā€™m not using the audio out from the Adafruit (I have a seperate amp/speaker on my rig) but Iā€™m pretty sure this could also be made to work.

From where should I give audio input. Is it from my phone through which I connect to wifi MYCROFT.

Did anyone try this speakerphone/mic combo from Hamlet? Itā€™s quite cheap (around 10 euro) and it should be supported under linux (from the windows drivers I see it uses a CMedia CM106/108 chip).

http://english.hamletcom.com/products/hskvoic.aspx

I use the Google AIY voicehat. It also includes a button.

I made a diskimage for it that works out of the box, and that updates with the regular picroft updates,

Just finished designing a custom enclosure that will be printed next week.

Tjoen

5 Likes

What 3D tool is your customer enclosure designed with. Where can I get the native CAD and STL files, if available?

This is for the v1 voice kit, as pictured in your post, right?

Hi there @urbite - the Mark 1 printing files are at;

Is this what you were looking for?

Actually, I was looking for tjoenā€™s custom enclosure for the Google AIY kit. This was referenced in the post prior to mine. But thanks for the Mark I links, they will be a good starting point for other designs.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, just read this. Still havenā€™t uploaded the designā€¦ :frowning:

Lazy bugger meā€¦