Hello, Mycroft community! I’ve just learned about Mycroft and I’m pretty excited about it! Like many people, I have serious privacy concerns about Amazon/Alexa so I LOVE the local nature of Mycroft. And though I’m pretty entrenched in the Alexa ecosystem, I’m also pretty frustrated and ready and willing to jump to another platform if I find the right one.
I have various smarthome goals that involve voice control - and for various reasons, Alexa keeps presenting me with brick walls and dead ends. Here are my hopes for Mycroft…
- Easy to create skills - step-by-step tutorials available, helpful developer community, lots of example code that can be copied, pasted, and modified. As a shining example, I would offer up AutoHotkey - their help file has sample code for EVERYTHING. There’s almost nothing a novice can’t do with the reference material provided. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there’s Alexa skills. They change things so quickly that every time I find a detailed, comprehensive tutorial, I never get more than a few steps into it before I can’t go any further because a change has been made since the tutorial was created.
- The ability to differentiate between the people in the household. If my wife says, “Hey, Mycroft, call my phone.” It should know which phone to call.
- Conversational skills - ability to create skills that will lead users down a path with consecutive prompts e.g. “Hey, Mycroft! Help me remember something.” “Sure, Donnie! What question will you be asking me?” “Where did I hide Krista’s birthday present?” “Got it. And what answer should I give you?” “It’s in the front pocket of my bass travel case.” “Got it. Is this confidential?” Yes." “OK. We’ll keep this between the two of us.”
- It seems like EVERYTHING “works with Alexa”. That’s great except that NOTHING (except a spoken command or the Alexa app) triggers Alexa. If Amazon would create any way for Home Assistant to trigger an Alexa action, it would instantly be the most powerful home automation hub on the planet. Hopefully Mycroft improves on this huge restriction.
- Good integration with Home Assistant - Mycroft should be able to trigger automations and automations should be able to include spoken Mycroft announcements and question/(branching) answer logic.
- The ability for multiple Mycroft devices to work together/collectively as a whole-home system while still providing one/same-room functionality for commands/interactions.
There are probably more but that’s all I can think of for now. How realistic are my wishpoints above?