Gnome shell extension not answering queries

I just downloaded and installed the latest mycroft gnome shell extension from Github (https://github.com/AIIX/Mycroft-AI-Gnome-Shell-Extension) on my System76 Bonobo running Ubuntu 16.04 Gnome. I have started the Mycroft service and am connected. However, the extension does not answer typed queries and does not respond to “Hey, Mycroft”. My microphone is on and responds normally in my settings.

What might be going on here and how might I troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.
EB

1 Like

Pinging @Aix - he probably would have the best feedback.

@Eric_Beyer can you please post the output for “journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell -f -o cat” and output for d-feet "session bus tab -> search for “org.gnome.shell” when the extension is running.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but I did so because I seem to get no response from the terminal when I enter ‘journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-shell -f -o cat’ and then launch the mycroft extension. This would seem to prevent me from doing the second step.

For what it’s worth, the GUI for Mycroft seems to work perfectly and I can type queries into the bottom of the box, after which the mycroft symbol appears to flash for a moment (and nothing happens).

Thanks again for your help.
EB

Go to your ‘/home/(yourusername)/.virtualenvs/mycroft/lib/python2.7/site-packages’ folder and check if the following files are there:

1. “_dbus_bindings.x86_64-linux-gnu.so” File
  2. “_dbus_glib_bindings.x86_64-linux-gnu.so” File
  3. Dbus Folder
  4. Glib Folder
  5. Gi Folder

else copy them from ‘/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/’ to ‘/home/(yourusername)/.virtualenvs/mycroft/lib/python2.7/site-packages’

manually copy guignome.py to /home/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/gui/
manually copy listener.py to /home/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/speech/

if that doesn’t solve the issue open terminal type ‘d-feet’ goto "session bus tab -> search for “org.gnome.shell” and post the output with your shell version and distribution version

Aye, sir.

1. Check - although mine has an “_” at the beginning of the filename. Does this matter?

2. Check - also has “_” at the beginning of the file name.

3. ~/…/dbus/ - check

4. ~/…/glib/ - check

5. ~/…/gi/ - check

6. guignome.py is already there…

7. listener.py is already there…

8. d-feet made my video really wonky for some reason. Unclicked windows look fuzzy. Anyway… here is my output for org.gnome.shell:

Dbus doesn’t seem to be the issue here, try running mycroft manually in terminal:
./start.sh service
./start.sh skills
./start.sh voice
./start.sh guignome

open the extension click connect after the above.
check if the extension works by typing something into the text area after starting the services manually if it still doesn’t work…post the full output of ./start.sh guignome and ./start.sh voice

Progress! Maybe?

./start.sh service gives me:

./start.sh: line 25: /home/eric/.virtualenvs/mycroft/bin/activate: No such file or directory
python: can’t open file ‘/home/eric/mycroft-core/mycroft/messagebus/service/main.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Same for skills and voice. .start.sh guignome gives:

Starting guignome
./start.sh: line 25: /home/eric/.virtualenvs/mycroft/bin/activate: No such file or directory
/home/eric/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/gui/guignome.py:67: SyntaxWarning: name ‘client’ is assigned to before global declaration
global client
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/eric/mycroft-core/mycroft/client/gui/guignome.py”, line 5, in
from mycroft.messagebus.client.ws import WebsocketClient
ImportError: No module named mycroft.messagebus.client.ws

Have you followed the readme guide in mycroft-core to set it up ? Try reinstalling mycroft core using the readme file in mycroft-core, then try running the extension.