Homeassistant skill misinterprets request

I appreciate the difficulty. Mycroft is more one-way oriented than Homeassistant and its ilk. HA is all about knowing the status of the devices it is responsible for. With Mycroft the onus is on the human to be aware of the status of the entities. It wouldn’t make sense to ask Mycroft to turn on the office light when you know it is already on. However it not difficult to dream up situations where the human didn’t know the current status. The ability to query an entitie’s status whether it is a sensor or a switch would be useul.

The beauty of MQTT ( here I go again ), is that one simply subscribes to a “TOPIC”, that is to say the entity plus its status. The subscribers could be a full on home automation system, a remote dashboard, or a generic app on your phone.

This has been interesting and I’ll try to keep up with the development of Mycroft, especially as it relates to IOT.

is .yaml going to be the new standard? Is .json defunct?

JSON is dead, long live JSON

JSON isn’t going anywhere and that includes in Mycroft. settingsmeta.json files etc will continue to be supported, we are just supporting yaml as well.

1 Like

Hey Scott,

It appears to be a problem with the type hinting syntax that hasn’t been used in Mycroft before. We’ve run into some trouble with it on systems still running Python 3.4 but from your output it looks like it’s using 3.5.

If you’re still getting the same error it would be useful to get a broader snippet of your skills.log

If you’re happy to share it you can run:
cat /var/log/mycroft/skills.log | nc termbin.com 9999
This will upload the log file to termbin and return a url for it.

Ah my bad, I think it’s actually a variable annotation rather than a standard type hint.

These were defined in PEP 526 and were introduced in Python 3.6. So you will get a syntax error on anything < Python 3.6.

We will need to decide how we handle this before it gets merged into the Marketplace…

Christopher
I have been away from Mycroft for months and am wanting resume. By coincidence 19-08 is out. So far it’s not working out so well. The device was set to check for updates so of course it did that.

As before I installed skill-iot-control and homeassistant. Upon starting mycroft, homeassistant complains it can’t send the metasettings for 19-08. I don’t see 19-08 in the HA branches on github.

When I checkout feature/commonIoT as you instructed previously then HA doesn’t even load.

There doesn’t seem to have been any activity on HA since June.

Hey @Robert_Dyck,

Several months go, Mycroft (the company) made the decision to focus on a set of core skills, to try to get them in tip-top shape for the Mark II (@gez-mycroft may be able to provide more context - I believe there was a blog post with some details). As part of this shift in focus, the CommonIoT work, including porting the Home Assistant skill, was put on hold. I know there were some API breaks a short while back, which is probably why the skill no longer loads, in particular on the CommonIot branch which, as you noted, has not been updated in quite a while. I am no longer working on the skill, but it is possible someone else has picked it up and is working on it - it may be worth checking on Mattermost.

-Chris

1 Like

Yes, I was aware of the “All hands on deck” order. So there are no quick answers. I will look forward to it all settling down.

Thank you for the reply.
Rob

Hi all, I posted this in another thread, but also relevant here.

We’ve just released some updates to how Skill settings are handled. From my testing the changes are performing really well, including with the master branch of HomeAssistant. Much more reliable and responsive.

It’s in the dev branch of mycroft-core if you are comfortable switching to give it a try. Otherwise it will be coming in the next stable release which shouldn’t be far off.

The CommonIoT Framework has been de-prioritized for the moment but the existing Skill should be working so please keep posting if you run into any issues.

PS Happy Holidays :christmas_tree:

1 Like

If this is your full public ha token: Please renew it :slight_smile:
In other words, please keep it private.