How to Get GUI Working

I am looking for the definitive guide to get the mycroft GUI working. I am currently running picroft on a rpi3b+ and would like to get a GUI running, After scouring the forum I found many items referring to GUI but there seems to be many routes to take to get this running and I am looking for the least pain / most reward so I can start to add GUI support to some of my skills.
All suggestions pros/cons are welcome.

step1, use at least a pi4, a pi3b+ will work if you use MycroftOS, but usually there isnt enough juice

if you are running latest ubuntu (20) the instructions in the repo will just work

other OS are usually missing some packages and you get into dependencies issues

Good news is I have an RPi4 doing nothing but I am starting to think there is something architecturally I don’t understand about the GUI.
The first step on the “Foolproof Setup Instructions™” trip me up when it says to " Download and Install Virtualbox".

1. Does the GUI run on the RPi or is it hosted elsewhere via Virtualbox?
  2. Did you recommend ubuntu (20) to run on the RPi4?
  3. I did play with MycroftOS a bit with this RPi4, so maybe I should go that route?

Actually it was all your skills you published in the last week that made me decide I need to get the gui running :+1:

for install i just ran dev_setup.sh from

the gui can be running anywhere, the only requirement is that it can connect to bus, if you feel like it you can have several guis connected to a single mycroft (be aware of the security risk of exposing your messagebus, i do not recommend connecting externally, i recommend blocking external connections in the firewall!)

when i said ubuntu i meant desktop, just pointing out a distro i know works, in previous version (of ubuntu) i ran into dependency issues, depending on your distro it might be easy or tricky to get it going. If you are adventurous and build stuff from source or enable other sources in your package manager it should run mostly anywhere

for a pi i cant really help since i havent gone that route, but i can suggest you put that pi4 to good use with a bigscreen image

https://plasma-bigscreen.org/

mycroft OS comes with gui support and everything installed, being a production ready, minimal and dedicated system saves enough juice to run a gui confortably, usually a pi3 just doesnt have enough power to run a full desktop stack + mycroft

the bottom line is that the only easy way to get this going is:

• mycroftOS
  • bigscreen
  • on desktop, your milleage may vary depending on OS
1 Like

i have mycroft-gui and the new mint 20. installation succes but i become this error.

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Attribute Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
qrc:/main.qml:37:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:36:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:35:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:34:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:33:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:32:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/main.qml:214:17: Unable to assign null to QStringList
qml: Trying to connect to Mycroft
Bereits aktuell.
Starting all mycroft-core services
Initializing…
Starting background service bus
CAUTION: The Mycroft bus is an open websocket with no built-in security
measures. You are responsible for protecting the local port
8181 with a firewall as appropriate.
Starting background service skills
Starting background service audio
Starting background service voice
Starting background service enclosure
Main Socket connected, trying to connect gui
Received port 18181 for gui “{42ca529b-e900-4bbd-beed-32c9b8977928}”
qrc:/main.qml:257: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘longDuration’ of undefined

Perhaps I will look into howto add only the bare minimal gui stuff onto a “normal” headless OS image and document the steps.

But would first want to finish my switch to NetworkManager and push the @&$@ MycroftOS inage first🤦‍♂️

Hi pcwii,

you can see my guide at https://www.thinkthinkdo.com/trac/project1/wiki/mycroft-gui-mark-2_sys
Or my forum posting Mycroft-gui on my Mark-II - Simplified app if you do not want to run the KDE Plasma Nano.

Have fun - Guhl

3 Likes