Joining Mycroft AI - taking over from Kathy

Hi all, I’m Kris Gesling (aka Gez) and I’ve just joined Mycroft AI, taking over from the amazing work of Kathy as the Director of Developer Relations.

To give you a little background, like Kathy I’m also from Australia however I’m in a city called Darwin in the far north. This means I’m actually much closer to Indonesia than to Kathy. My last job was with Australian Red Cross, and I’ve done a lot of work looking at how we can harness new technologies in the youth mental health space. On the technical side, my primary language has been Javascript, however I’m working to change that quickly and I’ve written a couple of little skills for Mycroft.

My role here is really focused on how we can create the best experience for this community and for developers in general. I’m still getting my head around all the amazing things you as a community have been doing, but if you need anything or have ideas you want to share please reach out to me :smile:

I got involved with Mycroft AI because I believe that voice interaction is quickly becoming the dominant way that people across the world are interacting with technology. There are also so many benefits for improving the accessibility of tech through voice, whether you’ve got your hands full in the kitchen, or your (grand)parents don’t know where the any key is… I want to make sure that we have an open platform for voice so that anyone in the world can use it without having to give up their privacy.

What got you interested in Mycroft to begin with?

I was looking for an open source voice assitant, jasper wasn’t looking very good, and sirius was going through some turmoil. mycroft had just done a successful kickstarter, and had a viable installation end point, so I tried it out…and then have never managed to escape its clutches since! :o So far so good.

Welcome Kris! Jeez what a foot steps to fill … :wink:

If you do your best, we will give you some slack in the beginning and try to help out as a community :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome, Kris! Best of luck to you.