Linux Desktop and Phone Integration

This is the answer I provided for @danjones.

There is no reason for us not to target the Windows platform, and it
will surely get a port of Mycroft. But currently there are over
60,000,000 Linux users with no options in this space. (No Cortana or
Google Now baked into the OS). It allows us to corner an untapped
market.

Also, since the Mycroft device is built on Linux, supporting the
Linux desktop is trivial (when it comes to development time). But I am
interested in supporting Android, iOS and Windows - resources
permitting.

1 Like

60,000,000 users? I can see your standpoint. You’re right, Linux does not have a dedicated assistant for the platform so yeah, it is smart to go after that.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not one of those things that is immediately apparent. Also, I think I’m going to try and Email Valve to offer to do their voice control. :smile:

1 Like

Getting steam integration would be amazing. Valve are notoriously aloof though, so whether or not they reply would be another matter.

I wonder if it’s worth suggesting making Mycroft the platform on which to build something like VoiceAttack? I’ve never used it myself, but I’ve been watching loads of Elite Dangerous videos in the hope that someone might one day mention a linux port and I keep coming across references to it. If Steam had it’s own (cross-platform) version of that, I think a lot of people would like it - and now that Valve have begun to embrace FOSS, they might want to use an existing solution. That’d be a great way to get more developers involved.

1 Like

Very cool, I’d not seen VoiceAttack. Cool, yeah, I doubt I’ll hear back from Valve, but it would be awesome.

We’ve got SteamVR and Mycroft… all we need now is an Exoskeleton and we’ll have our very own open source Iron Man - what that? Too geeky, you say? Oh, um, never mind then…

4 Likes

:slight_smile: This has been at the forefront of my mind. I will be Iron Man.

3 Likes

Well, more like Raspberry Pi Man :smiley:

2 Likes

A slightly more obtainable goal might be to get the Kodi (formally XBMC) devs interested in integrating Mycroft? (They’ve even called their latest version Jarvis)

1 Like

Kodi is quite modular by itself and has whole repository of addons/programs, so there is no need to wait for their approval of integration.
Mycroft addon could be made as proof of concept and demonstrated to Kodi devs in working state. Would probably quite increase chances of them being impressed and willing to integrate Mycroft into Kodi.

I think Mycroft could be useful on SteamOS as well. I always found big picture mode a bit clunky, so being able to do things like search for games in the store/library and launching them with just your voice would be great.

Steam is also rolling out software applications for steamos. I wonder if they can run in the background…?

1 Like

Any projects interested in implementing this, we really need some point of contact in each community or organization. Compiling a list of those somewhere might be really useful.

Haven’t used it myself, but I’ve seen videos of people running Netflix and YouTube on it using Chrome. Big picture mode appears to always run in the background, whether you’re gaming or using something like google chrome.

1. Make Mycroft sound/behave like GLaDOS
  2. Contact Valve to integrate it in SteamOS by default
  3. ???
  4. PROFIT!
2 Likes

This article wildly speculates… ahem, sorry, I mean ‘suggests’ that the SteamVR (Re)Vive has a mic which apparently raises “an interesting question about the possibility of Siri-style voice input”

If it doesn’t then it might just need one. If it does, hopefully it’ll be open, although I don’t think their voice-chat server is at the moment, so they may well just go and sign up with a proprietary one…

@ryanleesipes I’ve talk to XBMC team member last month during the OpenSource Summit Paris. In fact, all the work and help are centralized around the forum.

I think you could find all the information need here : http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_development

The best I think is to create an add-on, that can talk to Mycroft over the network

1 Like

Great info @Winael! I am making a note of this, interesting stuff!

I have to share the info on snappy-devel-app as well because could be nice to install kodi in 1-click on a snappy device.

Talking about desktop integration, you should talk to UAVIA. It’s a french company which create drones 100% remotely over IP under Snappy for B2B. So I think that Mycroft could remote them easily.

I think you guys should look into AutoRemote and how it integrates an Android phone with a PC. Granted these are platforms you all aren’t using at the moment, I realize that. However I am not talking about porting it over. I am simply talking about replicating the process. For those of you who do not know, AutoRemote is a Tasker plugin. With AutoRemote you can send files or notifications in between devices. For example, lets say you open a web page on your browser, you can share it to your PC or vice versa. If you guys were to create something that works a lot like AutoRemote, it would be very beneficial.

A Kodi integration would not only be huge, but wildly popular @Autonomouse

1 Like