localMusicPlayerSkill Feedback and Help

I was missing a skill to play and search my huge music library, so i wrote one.
I would really appreciate any kind of feedback, proposals or help to get the skill into the marketplace.
Nobody should ever be missing features :wink:
(Any help getting the requirements.sh right is also welcome)

How to install localMusicPlayer-skill

How to test localMusicPlayerSkill

• Configure the Skill Settings in home.mycroft.ai
    • set path to music

Please test any way you see fit, Iā€™ll be happy about any kind of feedback or help.
I have been using the skill for a couple months myself and it works the way i wanted to.

Feedback localMusicPlayerSkill should be directed a

Feel free to contact me at colla69@gmail.com
or simply comment here

2 Likes

What a great idea and great skill. Not that I have a big local music collection, but I do know people that have.

What I would suggest is that avoid using self.speak(ā€œsomethingā€) and use self.speak_dialog(ā€˜dialogfileā€™) as that makes it easier to translate to other languages.

Also you could benefit of using the common play framework so the skill will fit into mycroft if there are more than your music skills.

Also you can install requierements by adding requierements.sh (for os installation) or requierements.txt (for pip installation) of external reguierements.

I can do thatā€¦ :slight_smile: also have you got any ideas for answers that are recognizable?
active and inactive sound the same if the music is playing :sweat:

No not really. :slight_smile:
I did edit m previosly post nd ading more ideas toā€¦

colla69,

Very cool! I think this is just what Iā€™ve been looking for.

So I install the localMusicPlayer skill and type ā€˜play my musicā€™, but get this on the console:

16:01:51.315 | INFO     |   556 | localmusicplayer-skill_colla69:refresh_library:35 | reloading music files from:
cmus-remote: error: environment variable HOME not set

Where would HOME have to be set?

Thanks.

-Mike Mac

Hey @mike99mac
sorry for the late answer ā€¦ that seems to be a problem in the player setup.
The HOME variable should have been set on library refreshā€¦
on the same line where the error comes from ā€¦ the variable HOME should contain the home folder to start the recursive search of your music :wink: you might even try to set it manually :slight_smile:

Anyways, could you please check if the configuration of your source folder worked as meant?
I just tested it and couldnā€™t get it to work with local configuration, on the other hand it worked perfectly after online configuration and a restartā€¦ I couldnā€™t reproduce the exact error you are getting :frowning:

you might also try running in your terminal:

cmus-remote -C ā€œadd /path/to/your/music/collection/ā€

that should get the cmus player configured aswellā€¦

if none of that works, did you install screen and cmus correctly?
If you need help analyzing the problem feel free to contact me anytime.
answers in the forum, github issues or private mails (colla69@gmail.com) are welcome.

I honestly stopped working on this skill because nobody seemed to be interested and moved my work to GitHub - colla69/plexmusic-skill: Listen to your music, using Mycroft's speech commands ā€¦
I would be happy to get the localMusicplayer skills up and running again :wink:

1 Like

I also pushed a couple new lines to correct a small bug, donā€™t forget to pull the changes :wink: