Mimic Recording Studio installation problem

I have installed Mimic Recording Studio on Windows using the commands

git clone GitHub - MycroftAI/mimic-recording-studio: Mimic Recording Studio is a Docker-based application you can install to record voice samples, which can then be trained into a TTS voice with Mimic2
cd mimic-recording-studio
start-windows.bat

I can browse to the localhost:3000 web interface and enter my user name but after that I see the following error

Unhandled Rejection (TypeError): Failed to fetch
getUser
E:/inetpub/wwwroot/mimic/mimic-recording-studio/frontend/src/App/api/index.js:20
17 | };
18 |
19 | export const getUser = uuid => {

20 | return fetch(apiRoot + api/user/?uuid=${uuid}, {
21 | method: ‘GET’
22 | })
23 | }

In production mode it says:
error loading prompt… is the backend running?

In the browser console I can see that:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
http://localhost:5000/api/user/?uuid=0b9950ce-9684-a016-b31c-f1cd74f47381

Please help with this error.

I think backend service cannot launch. I tried the following commands to see if I can start the service

cd backend
set CORPUS=english_corpus.csv
“%python3_dir%\scripts\pip.exe” install -r requirements.txt
start “Python Backend” “%python3_dir%\python.exe” run.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “run.py”, line 2, in
from app import app
File “E:\inetpub\wwwroot\mimic\mimic-recording-studio\backend\app_init_.py”, line 1, in
from .app import app
File “E:\inetpub\wwwroot\mimic\mimic-recording-studio\backend\app\app.py”, line 4, in
from .api import UserAPI, PromptAPI, AudioAPI
File “E:\inetpub\wwwroot\mimic\mimic-recording-studio\backend\app\api.py”, line 131, in
class PromptAPI:
File “E:\inetpub\wwwroot\mimic\mimic-recording-studio\backend\app\api.py”, line 134, in PromptAPI
prompt_fs = PromptsFS()
File “E:\inetpub\wwwroot\mimic\mimic-recording-studio\backend\app\file_system.py”, line 118, in init
for p in prompts:
File “C:\Users\nazar\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\lib\encodings\cp1251.py”, line 23, in decode
return codecs.charmap_decode(input,self.errors,decoding_table)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘charmap’ codec can’t decode byte 0x98 in position 2359: character maps to

After changing the line 116 in file_system.py to:
with open(prompts_path, ‘r’, encoding=“utf8”) as f:

backend service started

1 Like

Thanks Nazar - I’ve pushed this change to the repo so others don’t hit the same problem :slight_smile: