MSM not Available Mycroft_Core Linux

Hello,

The documentation for MSM seems to suggest this should be available via Mycroft_Core in Linux: https://mycroft.ai/documentation/msm/

I have installed Mycroft via cloning the git repo, however, MSM is nowhere to be found. The msm folder does not exist where the documentation specifies: mycroft-core/msm

Can anyone guide me on how to download/install msm? I was not able to find any documentation.

Hi there @luisvarca, thanks for flagging this, and apologies that the documentation is out of date - this one is on my list to fix as soon as I can.

msm has been rewritten from the previous bash implementation using Python. Because it uses Python, we’ve made it available in the mycroft-core virtual environment. A virtual environment is what we use to help manage all the Mycroft Python dependencies - because different Python implementations can differ a lot between different Linux distros and installations.

To access msm, first enter the Mycroft virtual environment.

mycroft-core$ source .venv/bin/activate

You should then see the command line being prefixed with (venv)

(.venv) kathyreid@kathyreid-N76VZ:~/mycroft-core$

You can then run msm normally:

(.venv) kathyreid@kathyreid-N76VZ:~/mycroft-core$ msm update

Are you able to try the above and let me know how you go?

Best, Kathy

2 Likes

Hello KathyReid,

Thank you! That worked like a charm.

P.S. I write online articles for a living. Combined with my development skills this makes me very useful for tasks like “updating wikis” and websites. If you need a volunteer to help please reach out to me, I have time and would not mind doing this for an awesome project like mycroft.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind offer of assistance, @luisvarca! Our Documentation is open source as well and contributions are warmly welcome. A good place to start would be having a look at the Issues and seeing if there’s anything there that might appeal :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Kathy