[Music] Google Play Music

Skill name: google-music-skill

User story:

• As a music lover, I want to be able to play my Google Play Music songs, playlists artists using voice commands so I can enjoy music wherever my Mycroft Device is.
  • As a music lover, I want to be able to search for songs on Google Play Music by various attributes so I can find music during other activities such as reading.
  • As a music lover, I want to be able to go to sleep using Google Play Music by playing music for a length of time, and then that music fades out, so I get a good night’s sleep.
  • As a music lover, I want to be able to wake up using Google Play Music by playing a song, first that music fades in and then last several minutes, so I get a good morning.

What third party services, data sets or platforms will the Skill interact with?

Google Play Music

Are there similar Mycroft Skills already?

What will the user Speak to trigger the Skill?

• Play {{playlist_name}}
  • Play {{genre}}
  • Play {{artist}}
  • Play for {{number_of_minutes}} then go to sleep
  • Search for {{playlist_name}} | {{track_name}} | {{album_name}}
  • Next track | Next song
  • Previous track | Previous song
  • What’s playing?

What phrases will Mycroft Speak?

• Now playing {{playlist_name}}
  • Now playing {{genre}}
  • Now playing {{artist}}
  • Now playing for {{number_of_minutes}}
  • I found {{search_term}} in {{num_artists}} | {{num_tracks}} | {{num_albums}}. Should I list them?
  • I’m sorry, I couldn’t find any music matching {{search_term}}
  • Playing next track | song
  • Playing previous track | song
  • The current track | song is {{track}}

What Skill Settings will this Skill need to store?

• OAuth information for the user’s Google Play Music account.
  • Last played tracks so the user can do things like “play that last song again”

Other comments?

Put any other comments you think are relevant in here

Not quite a full relationship with Google Play, but if you have the Google Play Music Desktop Player installed for Linux, you can use my new skill to at least apply some of these controls:

Waiting for the pull request to be approved to get this into the Community Skills list, but you can install directly from github.

1 Like

I found this unofficial api in Python

https://unofficial-google-music-api.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

had that same problem to download listen to [Google play music free](http://http: //www.playstoreappdownload.mobi/google-play-music-free/)

I’d like to see something like this added. My son plays with Alexa Echo dot and my daughter plays with Google Home and both have a similar type of skill. The setup for my daughter’s Google Home is timer based, and for my son its playlist based, but both stop after approximately an hour.

I cannot submit an issue on your github location so here is what happens when the skill is installed:

06:35:23.525 - mycroft.skills.core:load_skill:159 - ERROR - Failed to load skill: mycroft-google-play-desktop-player-skill

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/media/1tb/mycroft/mycroft-core/mycroft/skills/core.py”, line 126, in load_skill
imp.PY_SOURCE))
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/imp.py”, line 235, in load_module
return load_source(name, filename, file)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/imp.py”, line 172, in load_source
module = _load(spec)
File “”, line 684, in _load
File “”, line 665, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 674, in exec_module
File “”, line 781, in get_code
File “”, line 741, in source_to_code
File “”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “/opt/mycroft/skills/mycroft-google-play-desktop-player-skill/init.py”, line 66
def runplay():

Do you have the Google Play Music Desktop Player installed for Linux?
This Skill has a dependency on the Google Play Music Desktop Player.

Yes, using it right now as a matter of fact.

…and I see that the bottom of my error report was cut off. The error was regarding incorrect syntax, tabs and spaces.

1 Like