Hi! I’m excited to join this community. I just got my kit a few days ago and wanted to share my impressions and some general questions coming from a complete Newbie. My background: I’m a Mechanical Engineer with a Doctorate in Materials Science. I’ve built some Rasberry based robots in the base before but I’m definitely not that good of a programmer.
Putting it together:
- The kit was really well made, and I appreciate the tools being included. It was a really nice touch.
- The electronic connections went together easily and structure was in place in less than an hour.
- The sound is really good and I’m currently using the Mycroft to play music which works well.
- Some of the inserts bunched up acrylic that can clog some of the holes. Maybe add “Clear the holes with a toothpick” to the instructions on instructables.
- The noise isolators for the top boards. 3/4 had no issue. the 4th one split. Everything still went together ok but thought I’d mention it.
Newbie questions for using the unit:
- I can’t figure out the light scheme to the led circle on the top board. Sometimes it’s two lights, sometimes it’s a ring. Also when the unit is asleep the ring is completely lit up which is a lot of unnecessary light. Is there a dark mode?
- On your website there is no instructions for using “I Heart Radio”. I saw that it was installed but that skill is not in the marketplace with instructions with “use cases”
- From the website I can’t figure out how to change the wake word, yup I’m using precise. Curiously “Hey Mycroft, how do I change the wake-word” doesn’t give an answer.
- Same thing with voice tone and other configuration settings. It doesn’t seem like you can change configuration settings by having a discussion with Mycroft. Which was my first instinct.
- There are three buttons on top of the board. I don’t know what they do. Sometimes pressing the center one has a desired effect. Sometimes mashing the center one when I’m frustrated just makes me feel better.
Suggestions/Questions about availability:
- In the DEV kit creates a pretty nice integrated package for folks that like building stuff. Do you have any plans for selling the microphone, LED board or another round of these Dev kits? I ask because It’d be fun to incorporate these electronics in homemade wood radio’s and 6 DoF robotic arms with additional motor control boards. But I don’t see a place to order the Mycroft microphone array board, the rest I assume I can find/hack together.
- The top board: Since the sound isolators were weird and it’s kinda open to the elements: (my kids sticky fingers). I might try to pour a thin silicon sheet from SMOOTH-ON materials. That will let the light through and can handle the heat while still being flexible enough for button pressing. But where the heck is the microphone array, I don’t want to mess with how the unit can hear?