Mycroft KDE plasmoid

well looks like it will build in Kubuntu-17.04 now as long as you have the backports repo enabled

one quirk I have noted so far is the location , it seems to think it’s in Lawrence Kansas in both the Neon-/dev/stabel & the Kubuntu-17.04 installs.

but the basic functions seem to work OK

VINNY

so ,if one wanted to remove this (uninstall it ) at some time ,just how would you go about it ?

I do not see an uninstall script any where :slight_smile:

VINNY

I think @AIIX @Aix should know more about this, since he is the main contributor on that project.

@vinnywright if you want to uninstall the plasmoid currently you have to remove it manually:

Locate the plasma-mycroft directory (should be in the folder you ran the install script from or check inside the mycroft-core folder in /home/(yourusername)/)

• cd plasma-mycroft
  • cd build
  • sudo make uninstall

@AIIX

:slight_smile: thank you for the reply ,I was going to do just that after finding the “options” list in the make file .

but was waiting for a reply before doing it as I’v read that some times this will leave stuff behind.

when I do it I will do a
"locate mycroft > mycroft.txt" (which seems to find every thing in ~/ and /opt and /usr) before and after to see if it’s all removed and let you know the result hear.

the one in Neon-/dev/stable (actualy Kubuntu-16.04 with the Neon /dev/stable repo added ,jonathon sead it would eat the kittens and it did :slight_smile: , ) seams to work better than the one in Kubuntu-17.04 ,in Neon “hay mycroft open firfox” works , not in 17.04 ,in Neon I can “hay mycroft search google for cat images” and firefox opens a google images page of cat picks , not in 17.04 ,so the “make uninstall” test will happen in 17.04

I ran the install script from in ~/Documents/build/mycroft (the /Documents/build is where I “try” to do such things when I feel frogy)
it created both a ~/mycroft-core and a ~/plasma-mycroft directory in /home/me just so you know.

• I would be happy to try/test whatever you would like if it would help you at all .

back soon with results of uninstall

VINNY

ya ,no running “make uninstall” just removes the the files in the directories , code,images,and ui ,

IN

/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mycroftplasmoid/contents

and

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/private/mycroftplasmoid

but not the directories them selves .

everything else is still hear

locate mycroft > mycroft.txt gives a line count of 4233 items still hear .

but that dose not include whats in my /home/me for some reason ,this is in the Kubuntu-17.04 ,in Neon the same
locate shows all even in ~/

thankfully everything thats left is in /opt/mycroft/* , ~/mycroft-core , ~/plasma-mycroft , ~/.mycroft and ~/.virtualenvs
so removal of the rest should be relatively easy ,that is IF all of it was in a “mycroft” DIR .

after it’s all removed hear (I’m keeping the one in Neon-/dev/stable as it’s working OK) I’m going to edit the "install_plasmoid_kde.sh"
to call “checkinstall” insted of “make install” to see if that would be a more user friendly way of doing the install as theoretically it should be able to use the package management system to remove if necessary ,well we will see any way :slight_smile:

the trouble with the “locate” command not finding anything in ~/ ,and I mean ANYTHING not just the mycroft stuff may be that the system is installed to a BTRFS file system as @17.04 and @/home17.04

in the Neon-/dev/stable install on ext4 locate finds it all ,I’ll check the Neon-LTS install sitting next to Kubuntu-17.04 on the BTRFS partition and see if behaves the same .

more sleuthing on this is required.

VINNY

OK just got back from the Neon-LTS install (also on the same BTRFS partition as the Kubuntu-17.04) and the “locate” command is working as expected ,so this makes me think that their is something amiss in the 17.04 install .

I’m just going to delete it’s subvolumes and do the “checkinstall” test with the “install_plasmoid_kde.sh” in the Neon-LTS

I do not have a lot of time invested in either one of them so no biggy (theirs 5 OS’s on this box)

VINNY

well ,I see now that “checkinstall” would half to be placed in sevrall locations ,and would add an ,unreasonable amount of user input during the process.

and theirs really on need as it all (just about" goes into some form of “mycroft-” DIR and so is not that hard to remove if one wonts to .

VINNY

Mycroft is working well on my KDE ArchOS (actually EndeavourOS) system. However, installing the KDE widget fails. Anyone have any success with this?

What’s the error on installation exactly ?

Hi AIIX

See feedback from terminal install process:

WARNING: You are using pip version 20.0.2; however, version 20.2.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the ‘/home/paulh/mycroft-core/.venv/bin/python -m pip install --upgrade pip’ command.
Building with 4 cores.
Skipping mimic build.
-----------------------------------------------------
**Whew, finally finished that! Now on to the Plasmoid **
-----------------------------------------------------
Cloning into ‘plasma-mycroft’…
fatal: repository ‘https://anongit.kde.org/plasma-mycroft.git/’ not found
sudo: apt-get: command not found
install_plasmoid_kde.sh: line 54: cd: plasma-mycroft: No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘build’: File exists
CMake Error: The source directory “/home/paulh” does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target ‘install’. Stop.
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mycroftplasmoid/contents/code/startservice.sh’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mycroftplasmoid/contents/code/stopservice.sh’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mycroftplasmoid/contents/code/pkgstartservice.sh’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mycroftplasmoid/contents/code/pkgstopservice.sh’: No such file or directory
Everything is built and ready to go!
After the machine reboots, you will need to activate it by:

1. Right-clicking on the desktop and picking ‘Add Widget…’
  2. Locating ‘Mycroft’ and dragging that to the desktop
  3. Click on the Plasmoid and press the ‘Play’ button
  4. Register your devices at https://home.mycroft.ai with the pairing code
  5. Say ‘Hey Mycroft, what time is it?’
    Press the [Enter] key to reboot…

However, on reboot, “add widget” does not present the MyCroft plasmoid.

Also, during the install process, a "pip"update is recommended, which I did as instructed. However, on attempting to re-install the widget, it still wants the same “pip” update.

BTW, re “sudo apt-get”; my system is Arch Linux based (i.e. EndeavourOS).