Mycroft mispronounces the letter 'M' when SPELLING a word unless it is the last letter of the word

https://github.com/MycroftAI/skill-spelling/blob/18.08/ init .py line 31 is where the ‘period’ is coming from as shown below. I have confirmed that removing the period fixes the issue, but it does speed up the spelling. Replacing the ‘.’ with ‘;’ (semi-colon) slows the spelling down again and does not seem to have any side effects.

def handle_spell(self, message):
    word = message.data.get("Word")
    spelled_word = '. '.join(word).upper()

Thanks for testing that out @tiredoftry.

Did you want to make a pull request on that Github repo and propose the change? It would be great to be able to credit your work in improving this skill.

If you run into any trouble, please drop me a line :slight_smile:

Let me test it some more to verify, and to review making a pull request, and I will do so.

Thank you

1 Like

Going to have to dig even deeper on this. In my further testing, Google Voice and Mimic don’t agree on the same ‘delimiter’ in most cases. I still need to test the offline mimic voice.

Looking at the mimic code, there are several ‘special’ separators (punc values) which change the way things are said.

The best change might be to have a config file for separators for each voice and a fallback default for unknown / yet to be updated voices. ‘If’ the spelling skill knew the voice being used prior to spelling, it could supply the best separator.

1 Like

I was just discussing this with @ruthvic-mycroft, our Master of Mimic. The handling of the semicolon should be (timing wise) basically the same as a period. So he is going to modify the new Mimic voice code to support a pause when it encounters the semicolon, just like when it sees a period.

So if you want to prep a PR for the spelling skill that switches it, I’d be happy to pull it in once the Mimic change is made. We can also do it easily if you’d prefer.

Thanks for pointing this out! Unifying the behavior of the different TTS engines makes life easier for everyone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just created a pull request. This is my first one for any public repository, so please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Thank you all for your assistance and thought processes while working through this issue.

2 Likes

Hey, the first pull request to an open source project is always exciting!

I’ve dropped you a message in the PR with some tips :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you again. I think I have it correct for the main branch this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice one, it all looks good and the update to Mimic has been submitted too :slight_smile: