Mycroft Community Forum

Need help to run Mycroft on Ubuntu 14.04

I have got Mycroft installed on Ubuntu 14.04 on my Jetson TK1 finally. Now I’m trying to run it (trying ./start-mycroft.sh audio ) but got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
    mod_name, mod_spec, code = _get_module_details(mod_name, _Error)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 109, in _get_module_details
    __import__(pkg_name)
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from mycroft.api import Api
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/api/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
    from mycroft.configuration import Configuration
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/configuration/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from .config import Configuration, LocalConf, RemoteConf
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/configuration/config.py", line 23, in <module>
    from mycroft.util.json_helper import load_commented_json, merge_dict
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/__init__.py", line 35, in <module>
    from .parse import extract_datetime, extract_number, normalize
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/mycroft/util/parse.py", line 32, in <module>
    import lingua_franca.parse
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/lingua_franca/parse.py", line 21, in <module>
    from lingua_franca.lang.parse_pt import *
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/lingua_franca/lang/parse_pt.py", line 200, in <module>
    class PortugueseNormalizer(Normalizer):
  File "/home/ubuntu/mycroft-core/.venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/lingua_franca/lang/parse_pt.py", line 202, in PortugueseNormalizer
    _default_config = json.load(f)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/json/__init__.py", line 265, in load
    return loads(fp.read(),
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
    return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 602: ordinal not in range(128)

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

This can be a default character encoding issue. What is the output of the command locale ?

I can’t check now and will get back to you. It might have been set to Australia. If it was I will try to set it to US to see if it makes any difference. Thanks! I noticed the stack trace has something about Portuguese as well but I don’t have any settings about that. Could it be a language file in Portuguese that caused it?

From stack trace above

Hi @forslund the locale output is:

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ locale
LANG=C
LANGUAGE=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=C
ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ 

Ok that’s likely the issue. Try setting it to an utf8 locale. See https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Configure_Locales_in_Ubuntu

for reference this is my locale output

 $ locale
LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=sv
LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
1 Like

Thank you! I changed locale to en_US.utf8 and Mycroft is now working!!

1 Like

Great to hear! hopefully Mycroft will have been worth the trouble :slight_smile: