No audio output, just the signal tone (input works!)

I installed Mycroft on my Ubuntu 20.04 Server and everything worked fine. The only thing that doesn’t work is the audio (TTS) output, so I’m not able to hear what the AI answers. I installed pulseaudio and scrolled through many FAQs and documentation sites but nothing helped.
The debug console shows the answers from mycroft as a text and they match my questions but there’s no audio output…
Do you guys have an idea?

Check the audio.log in /var/log/mycroft and see if it has anything useful?

1 Like

Okay, I checked the audio.log and it says f.e.

“| ERROR | 3613 | main:on_error:34 | Audio service failed to launch (TypeError(‘can only concatenate str (not “NoneType”) to str’)).”

and

“The TTS could not be loaded” …

The voice.log has some errors too:

2020-10-02 04:13:54.347 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.messagebus.load_config:load_message_bus_config:33 | Loading message bus configs
ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2642:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:869:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Access denied

ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Access denied

ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card

2020-10-02 04:13:54.555 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.client.speech.listener:create_wake_word_recognizer:328 | Creating wake word engine
2020-10-02 04:13:54.556 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.client.speech.listener:create_wake_word_recognizer:351 | Using hotword entry for hey mycroft
2020-10-02 04:13:54.569 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.client.speech.hotword_factory:load_module:403 | Loading “hey mycroft” wake word via precise
2020-10-02 04:13:56.587 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.client.speech.listener:create_wakeup_recognizer:365 | creating stand up word engine
2020-10-02 04:13:56.588 | INFO | 2819 | mycroft.client.speech.hotword_factory:load_module:403 | Loading “wake up” wake word via pocketsphinx
Expression ‘paInvalidSampleRate’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 2048
Expression ‘PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->capture, inParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsCapture, &realSr )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 2718
Expression ‘PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLatency, &outputLatency, &hostBufferSizeMode )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 2842
2020-10-02 04:13:56.961 | INFO | 2819 | main:on_ready:175 | Speech client is ready.

can you expand on that? Just dump the last 300 lines on pastebin.com
Most valueable are the traceroutes
There’s a None passed where it shouldn’t. The rest could be just aftermath.

And the last 1000 lines from skills.log

1 Like

That’s from the audio.log

and this one from the skills.log

a quick search coming up with this troubleshooting guide to get the permission problem right.

There are some vlc problems, but you should look at the permissions first.

1 Like

also alsa-info.sh from the alsa-utils package (not baseline) should give good information. I wonder why this isn’t recommended given the mounting audio problems reported

mimic is optional in the setup process, yet resides in /etc/mycroft/mycroft.conf (or the user equivalent) or is defaulted to if nothing is set - correct me if i’m wrong. Mimic isn’t found on your system, hence the tts problem.

LOG.info("Failed to find mimic at: " + BIN) BIN is the None thing

Reinstall it or switch to google or … (this would be a way to conf google up)

Thank you all for helping!
After I ran the command “snap remove pulseaudio”, the last TTS outputs ran through. Now everything works! :smile:

snap, snap, hurray :drum:

1 Like

Hello.

I upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 and am having this same problem. My log files also look similar to yours.

I downgraded python to version 3.7.5 (Ubuntu upgraded it to 3.8). And I was able to start mycroft.

When I start mycroft, all services seem to come up normally without issues. The wake word works, but there is no follow up audio.

It also didn’t occur to me that I would have to pair the device again. But I can’t get a pairing code since I don’t have any audio.

I tried uninstalling pulseaudio, but with apt remove instead of snap.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thank you,
Dan.