No audio picroft 2 mic Respeaker

I have an RPi4 and I am using a 2 mic Respeaker and a mono speaker. The audio seems to go to the HDMI as default and not to the speaker. I use the respeaker / seeedvoice drivers from github, not the drivers that get installed via the setup-wizard.

When I first stood up my picroft, I had a monitor with built in speakers. Audio went out the monitor speakers by default. Not being able to re-direct them to the mono speaker plugged into the respeaker, I changed the monitor to something without speakers and did a fresh install. However, I am still not getting sound out the speaker.

I’ve read all of the troubleshooting tips, but I’m not exactly sure what to do to force output to the speaker.

aplay -l output:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 2: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1

mycroft.conf output:

cat mycroft.conf
{
“play_wav_cmdline”: “aplay -Dhw:0,0 %1”,
“play_mp3_cmdline”: “mpg123 -a hw:0,0 %1”,
“enclosure”: {
“platform”: “picroft”
},
“tts”: {
“mimic”: {
“path”: “/home/pi/mycroft-core/mimic/bin/mimic”
}
},
“ipc_path”: “/ramdisk/mycroft/ipc/”
}

I’m assuming that aplay is pointing to the soundcard, but if it is, the output doesn’t go that direction.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Daryl

After I posted this question, I was doing some testing with arecord and aplay, as root, and my testing worked. I read somewhere about my user needs to be in the audio group, which it is, so I’m wondering if there are further permissions, or another group the user should be in?

What group(s) should my user be in? Or what should permissions be for sound to be played?

Thank you.

Daryl