OpenVoiceOS - A bare minimal (production type of) OS based on Buildroot

Yep, tried to set the “show digital clock when idle” (not that I had any hope of the screen working anyway) and reboot, it still refuses to reboot, but it stopped listening so I guess it halted halfway this time) I might have to do a janitor-reset (pull the plug)

I greatly appreciate the help I get, and the work put into this project, and I have gotten much further then I expected in getting this working.

EDIT:
Did the janitor-reset, and after a while it gives the correct time!

Guess then you should be glad your screen isn’t working, since there are things happening you wouldn’t like :wink:

Maybe this related to the bug of over written mycroft.conf but let me first dig into the screen issue.

Can you link the exact acreen you have? Webshop, type, manufacturer site or something. Then I can google a bit on what to do and / or if I miss something.

So. New image. (not yet).9 new version
RPi4/respV2/LAN/smartTV

Firstrun:
gui
no visible problems until pairing. If pairing is done skills will be installed. Triggered by himself gui stays in voice processing screen -blue ball circling - indefinitly (loops there).

skills.log
after one websocket refuse - connected -> MSM -> skills install
33 Warnings because there is no paket manager (all depenencies pre fetched?)

2020-10-02 17:24:40.020 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-mycroftos-gui: MergeConflict (understandable)
2020-10-02 17:24:45.920 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-volume: MergeConflict
2020-10-02 17:24:46.621 | ERROR    |   384 | msm.mycroft_skills_manager | Error running install_or_update on skill-mycroftos-enclosure: MergeConflict (understandable)

padatious Training: Some objects timed out while training

Suspicious: no further updating/iterating over configs/skills/etc (-> stuck in loop problem?)

The other logs (+err) don’t report anything suspicious, yet out of curiosity, what is enclosure doing with the volume?

to be coninued…

1 Like

Jup, all known intermediate Work In Progress things I am currently working on and the reason I have not yet “officially” released alpha9 as alpha9.

Little announcement: For Trademark / Wordmark reasons, I have to distanciate a bit more from Mycroft and therefor in progress of renaming MycroftOS to OpenVoiceOS - Mycroft Edition.

Mentioned it on chat: If you want additional coverage for sv-se/ro-ro/pt-br/nl-nl/it-it/fr-fr/es-es/el-gr/da-dk/de-de for the finished booting skill you should

mycroft-msm install https://github.com/devs-mycroft/skill-finished-booting.git
cd /opt/mycroft/skills/skill-finished-booting.devs-mycroft 
git checkout -b translations origin/translations

EDIT: Oh, just saw that “finished booting” isn’t voiced/triggered by the skill

Maybe another suggestion. (that’s not in the library) Would you consider this skill baseline?

Oh right, indeed the finshed booting message is a left over of a quick “fix” within the enclosure skill. That will be removed in favor of the “official” skill.

There are a lot of little loose ends to fix before the real alpha9 release :wink:

I think it’s this display, I will go dig in the boxes to see if I find any more info:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/

1 Like

hmm… another possibility:

I’m about to add the german translation to your enclosure skill. Not knowing when the original skill (finished.booting…) would trigger and if your skill is far off (in that regard), there’s a possibility to shove all translations to /dialog/*/finished.booting.dialog

Problem is, the original skill (the one in the marketplace) isn’t maintained at this time. This is why i have to go down this route and pull a (side)branch from mycroftAIs’ fork.

so i might add that to the PR

Second run was smooth as silk but the third time (during boot) i ended up with a

broken pipe
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/skill_manager.py", line 301, in _load_skill
    load_status = skill_loader.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/skill_loader.py", line 186, in load
    return self._load()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/skill_loader.py", line 244, in _load
    if skill_module and self._create_skill_instance(skill_module):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/skill_loader.py", line 310, in _create_skill_instance
    self.instance.default_shutdown()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/mycroft_skill/mycroft_skill.py", line 1287, in default_shutdown
    self.gui.shutdown()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/enclosure/gui.py", line 358, in shutdown
    self.clear()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/enclosure/gui.py", line 121, in clear
    self.skill.bus.emit(Message("gui.clear.namespace",
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/messagebus/client/client.py", line 163, in emit
    self.client.send(message.serialize())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/websocket/_app.py", line 153, in send
    if not self.sock or self.sock.send(data, opcode) == 0:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/websocket/_core.py", line 250, in send
    return self.send_frame(frame)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/websocket/_core.py", line 275, in send_frame
    l = self._send(data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/websocket/_core.py", line 445, in _send
    return send(self.sock, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/websocket/_socket.py", line 117, in send
    return sock.send(data)
BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
2020-10-02 21:29:12.566 | ERROR    |   381 | mycroft.messagebus.client.client:on_error:135 | Exception closing websocket: ConnectionResetError(104, 'Connection reset by peer')
2020-10-02 21:29:12.578 | WARNING  |   381 | mycroft.messagebus.client.client:on_error:137 | Message Bus Client will reconnect in 5 seconds.
2020-10-02 21:29:17.596 | INFO     |   381 | mycroft.messagebus.client.client:on_open:114 | Connected

Although it states connected, gui was thrown off at this point in time
This behaviour is fairly common 4/7 now

1 Like

Ah shoot, that is not a HDMI screen. Let me dive into it, I am sure it is as easy as a little /boot/config.txt change we need.

You might want to get enlisted here, afterwards :clown_face: (Doesn’t look good to me)

@GuW It looks like the DSI screen is not yet supported within the KMS opensource driver and you need the FKMS version.

Do you know how to edit the config.txt ?

Aha, others use HDMI, I would have tested that if only I had remembered it when I had my Mycroft behind the TV, I don’t have any other HDMI screens to test it on.

I know how to copy/paste text to config.txt, infact I had to add lcd_rotate=2 to get it right way up in raspberry os

Perfect! Could you change this line;

To:

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

And give it a spin?

I’m not at home this weekend, but I will do that as soon as I get home again.

Do you think my issue with low volume also is because I don’t use HDMI sound?

I think it says max volume is 10 but it doesn’t change much if I set it to 5

The volume skill controls the combined master sink.

You can use alsamixer for now, to select the different outputs/cards and level them in such a way that volume is about the same so that the master control is equal again.

Found the NTP problem at boot/startup (syncing system clock)

in this line

RASPBERRY_PI_PLATFORMS = ('mycroft_mark_1', 'picroft', 'mycroft_mark_2pi', 'MycroftOS')

has to be injected

skills.log

2020-10-05 19:04:47.376 | INFO     |   376 | mycroft.skills.__main__:_update_system_clock:103 | Updating the system clock via NTP...
1 Like

Nice catch! (That logic is at multiple places)