Picroft image won't boot

Hi everyone

I’ve just bought a ReSpeaker 6-mic array for use with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2. Whether I have the ReSpeaker hat installed or not, I cannot get the Pi to boot. I get the boot text scrolling up the screen and the activity LED is flashing, but then I lose signal on the screen and the activity LED stays on indefinitely. The Ethernet link lights go off so I can’t look at my router to determine the IP address and try to SSH in. I have tried re-flashing the image and it verified fine. Any suggestions on what I can try please?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh by the way, I’m using raspbian-stretch_Picroft_2019-07-20 which I downloaded from the link in the Mycroft documentation.

Ah, ok it turns out my power supply was inadequate. I replaced it and now it’s booted up sufficiently to get an IP from my router and I can SSH in and see the ASCII welcome screen and get to the setup interface. Interestingly, the power LED is actually blinking now and I get no signal on my monitor, even though the device appears to be working. I don’t know if this is normal though.

Hey mashers, glad a new power supply has gotten it booting.

The power LED should flash if the voltage drops below some voltage. It can still operate but is something to be mindful of. This might also be why you are unable to get a video signal. Do however make sure the monitor is plugged into the Pi before you connect the power.

What sort of power supply are you using now?

Thanks man. I’m now using a 2.5 amp iPhone charger with a micro USB cable and I thought it was all good, but I’m wondering if the USB cable is too thin and not conducting sufficient current as the power LED still blinks and I still have no video signal. Mycroft also seems really slow (unusably so, in fact), so I’m wondering if the Pi is underclocking itself to compensate for low current/voltage. I’ll try getting a more robust cable and see if that makes a difference. Thank you!

1 Like

Cable quality definitely matters, if it’s “gnat’s whisker” stuff it might be good enough to trickle an adequate charge into a 'phone battery overnight but not for the sudden current demand when an RPi suddenly wants to do a lot of processing… specifically, it will drop enough voltage that the power regulator logs a problem (one of the Raspbian programs- I forget which for the moment- can report if this has happened). Also beware of generic “wall wart” PSUs: by and large the ones that have five or six connectors and claim to be able to supply multiple 3A devices are better value.

MarkMLl

1 Like