Picroft update to 18.8 release 10 lost log directory?

Hello, I’ve been running MyCroft on a RPi 3 Model B+ for some months with no problems, and today noticed that my release 5 was out of date. So I asked MyCroft to upgrade to release 10, did an orderly restart, and now it fails to start correctly with repeated “ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection…”. Even if I manually recreate /var/log/mycroft, it is now always missing after restart.

pi@vox:/var/log $ mycroft-start all restart
Already up-to-date.
Starting all mycroft-core services
Initializing...
Starting background service bus
CAUTION: The Mycroft bus is an open websocket with no built-in security
         measures.  You are responsible for protecting the local port
         8181 with a firewall as appropriate.
/home/pi/mycroft-core/start-mycroft.sh: line 140: /var/log/mycroft/bus.log: No such file or directory
Starting background service skills
/home/pi/mycroft-core/start-mycroft.sh: line 140: /var/log/mycroft/skills.log: No such file or directory
Starting background service audio
/home/pi/mycroft-core/start-mycroft.sh: line 140: /var/log/mycroft/audio.log: No such file or directory
Starting background service voice
/home/pi/mycroft-core/start-mycroft.sh: line 140: /var/log/mycroft/voice.log: No such file or directory
Starting background service enclosure
/home/pi/mycroft-core/start-mycroft.sh: line 140: /var/log/mycroft/enclosure.log: No such file or directory

What might have happened between releases 5 and 10 so that this would happen on a Raspberry Pi? It was a good bit of effort to get this working in the first place (with Google AIY Voice Kit V1) and so I don’t want to consider a total rebuild.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

watou

Did the directory/files not exist before?
And when you refer to recreating the directory and it missing, is it just the files or the entire directory that’s gone?

Two more attempts to manually create the directory /var/log/mycroft and set the permissions

sudo mkdir /var/log/mycroft
sudo chmod o+w /var/log/mycroft

and 18.8 release 10 started correctly. How strange!

2 Likes