Picroft with jabra 410 no audio or microphone

I am looking for some help on getting a jabra 410 to work with picroft. I downloaded the Picroft image from the Github page. Searching the forum and the manual, I have tried several modifications to the sound settings, but to be honest I don’t know what I am searching for. Changing the settings in /etc/mycroft/mycroft.conf to plughw:1.0 does not seem to work. The solution is probably quite easy, but like I said; I don’t have any experience with audio hardware on the raspberry pi. Here is the output for aplay -l, aplay -L and the mycroft.con (any help is appreciated):

pi@picroft:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: USB [Jabra SPEAK 410 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@picroft:~ $ aplay -L
default
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=USB
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=USB,DEV=0
Jabra SPEAK 410 USB, USB Audio
Hardware device with all software conversions

And the conf file:
GNU nano 2.2.6 File: mycroft.conf Modified

{
“play_wav_cmdline”: “aplay -Dhw:0,0 %1”,
“play_wav_cmdline”: “aplay -Dhw:0,0 %1”,
“play_mp3_cmdline”: “mpg123 -a hw:0,0 %1”,
“enclosure”: {
“platform”: “picroft”,
“update”: true,
“test”: false
},
“tts”: {
“module”: “mimic”,
“mimic”: {
“voice”: “ap”,
“path”: “/usr/local/bin/mimic”
}
},
“ipc_path”: “/ramdisk/mycroft/ipc/”
}

I ran into a similar problem when I first implemented the Picroft version, I know you mentioned using aplay -l and changing the conf file, I did these as well, but I also had to reboot, here is what I wrote about it at the time:

I> t took less than 1 hour to perform and complete these steps, and amazingly it all worked! That was until I told Mycroft to go to sleep. When I tried to wake him up with the wake word, he refused to do so. In frustration, I rebooted. He would then recognize the wake word, I could see the text response display on the screen, but could not hear any audio. So I went back to the installation instructions . . .

At the bottom of the installation instructions and tips in the first link above, is a tip on how to configure the USB microphone:

Using USB Audio as Output
Typically the USB audio should be connected to hwplug:1,0 but to verify run the following:
aplay -L
Find the hwplug output for the device you want to use, take this and update the /etc/mycroft/mycroft.conf file accordingly:
“play_wav_cmdline”: “aplay -Dhw:0,0 %1” this line now becomes “play_wav_cmdline”: "aplay -Dplughw:1,0 %1"
You can now run ./auto_run.sh to start the program back up and test and ensure the output comes through the USB speakers.
Following theses instructions using nano as a text editior and with a reboot, cured the microphone problem. However, putting him to sleep, still requires a full reboot to make him responsive to the wake word. Hopefully with a little more work I’ll be able to resovle this.

I hope this can help you. I am not using Picroft currently as I am working with the Mark 1, but when I did this, it was the using the Jabra 410

Greg

1 Like

PS the reason I mention I could see the “response on the screen” was that I used the Pi Top Ceed enclosure with a Picroft burned SD card instead of the Pi Top OS on the car, so my Picroft was not “headless”.

1 Like