Planning Picroft with ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array

Hello there,

So I had an eye on Mycroft since the launched the Mark 2 on Kickstarter. Recently I stumpled over it again and the last two years I got into Smart Home and also fell in love with Raspberry PI.

Now I’m planning to install Mycroft on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (Picroft). I read a little and some other forum posts. I didn’t wan’t to use some ugly looking external mic. In one threat I found that somebody used the Seed ReSpeaker and another guy used the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array this one sound really goog and absolutly perfect for my project.

I already bought the Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Now I just wanted to get some other opinions and also check if my plan makes sense for other people. Also wanted to ask if someone mad a nice case for the Picroft with the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array.

My Plan:

Raspberry Pi 3B+ with ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array and Audio out hooked up to my Surround System via 3.5mm jack.

I also found this case https://www.distrelec.de/en/raspberry-pi-case-107-5x107-5x42mm-white-oneninedesign-asm-1900039-11/p/30115058?track=true and was wondering if someone is using it and can tell if the raspberry with the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array on top will fit in.
I will also have to modify it that the case has hole where the mics are.

Any advice and input are welcome

thanks

best

Noah

I own this case and think the mainboard of the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array will fit into it. You will probably have to cut a small hole somewhere for the flatwire-cable that goes to the mic-array.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

But I don’t want to mount the platine with the mics on the outside. I would like to mount it on the inside and just drill 6 holes for the mics.
so can both parts of the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array fit inside the case?

With a board installed on the GPIO port there is 3-4mm headroom left. The mic-array is rather large, so this will be a very tight fit, if it fits at all.
You definitely should put some electrical insulation between the Respeaker mainboard and the mic-array.

1 Like

What is your current status to this project?

At the moment I think about to buy:
ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array + Raspberry-Pi-4 with minimal 2GB RAM
OR
Respeaker Core V2

What are your results yet?

EDIT:
@Dominik I read in another post that own a Respeaker Core V2. Did you think it is with mycroft on the limit or did you think it could be better to buy the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array + Raspberry-Pi-4 with minimal 2GB RAM?

I’ve ordered and got the raspi but the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array is soldout on the official site and I’m not sure if I should order from a 3 party onlineshop.

When buying hardware today I would go with a RPI4 (the more RAM the better) and either a Respeaker Mic Array v2.0 (only 4 mics but nevertheless superior to the old 6mic array) or its brand new successor the USB Mic Array which comes with an enclosure. (If you still get a Mic Array v2.0 - this fits nicely into the Respeaker Pro Case).

Really, the ReSpeaker Mic Array v2.0 is better than the ReSpeaker 6-Mic Circular Array ?

Our team has seen better results with the Mic Array v2.0, and that’s what we’re currently using for the Mark II. It’s also got support built into the Picroft image now.

1 Like

Okay nice so then I’ll consider buying the Mic Array v2.0

Stable build or unstable? And did we have already a pi4 image?

Both I’m pretty sure, however I’d suggest using the “unstable” image currently. It’s been out for a few weeks and I haven’t received any negative reports on it, so will switch it to stable at some point soon.

No official Pi4 image though a number of people have been using the script linked here to automate a Pi4 build: