Raspberry Pi 3 Compatibility

Will the early bird developer sdk work with the raspberry pi 3?

2 Likes

@gmp working on that right now! Just ordered a few for testing!

1 Like

Do you think the increase in core speed will help with local speech recognition and text to speech ?

1 Like

I just got off the phone with Newark and we will be shipping our developer kits in April with the Pi 3. They claim they’ll be back in stock on March 22 and we’ve got our order in the queue.

We did order a few units from the consumer supplier for testing (they are limiting orders to one per customer). Provided there are no major problems, we’ll be using the Pi 3 as the core of Mycroft. This adds:

• Bluetooth 4.0 support
  • Bluetooth LE support
  • On board WiFi

We will need to test the quality of the on board WiFi, but all-in-all we are are really exticed by this release. It adds a bunch of functionality, improves performance and will allow us to ship a better hardware product.

6 Likes

This is great, I ordered one myself.

Any updates on this? I’m really excited for this.

1 Like

Perhaps MyCroft can take a page out of Amazon Echos playbook.

Amazon allows Echo service to be installed on 3rd party devices such as the Pi. Having MyCroft do something similar would be amazing.

2 Likes

@Dominique lol. Mycroft runs natively on the Pi, and can be installed on any device (that can run Python). In fact, we want it to be installed anywhere and everywhere that it can be.

@daniel there are some issues surrounding using the bluetooth/wifi and the GPIO at the same time. But it looks like the Pi community is sorting that out. Fingers crossed. We are planning on shipping with the Pi3 at this point, and if the problem still exists, we will deliver the units with a Wifi dongle.

2 Likes

Is there an update on issues surrounding using the bluetooth/wifi and the GPIO at the same time

@ROBOTICSLAWCOUK, yes! It turns out we can use the onboard wifi and GPIO at the same time, no progress yet on the bluetooth. However, this is not that crazy as bluetooth should be possible through external dongles until that is corrected on the Pi3.

1 Like

Did the “Early Bird Hardware Dev Kits” include Pi 3’s?

@daniel Yes sir, they did.

1 Like

Awesome! I can’t wait to receive mine in July.

1 Like