Raspberry Pi Zero 2

Has anyone tested Picroft on the zero 2?

I think it could be a bit short in resources, 512MB of memory will not be enough in my opinion.

1 Like

It’s possible to run it, but without more ram you’d likely be limited on skills and/or speed.

1 Like

I ran some tests, not on a RPi0 2 but on a RPi 4B. I’m able to run Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye 64-bit without X server.

Mycroft AI is running within Docker containers and it consumes 518MB of RAM, I guess if you remove Docker from the equation you would be able to run it as @baconator mentioned.

pi@rpi4b01:~ $ free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            7812         518        6452           1         841        7172
Swap:             99           0          99
3 Likes

I rebooted everything and ask many thing to Mycroft, here is the memory usage after 40 minutes.

pi@rpi4b01:~ $ uptime
 20:33:53 up 40 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.74, 0.53, 0.47

pi@rpi4b01:~ $ free -m
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            7812         498        6597           1         716        7190
Swap:             99           0          99

Boy, that’s cutting it close. Remember you’ve still got whatever Skills want to do.

What’s your wake word engine there?

1 Like

I’m running precise-lite. These are the skills installed for now:

Skill Status
mycroft-joke [installed]
fallback-query [installed]
mycroft-audio-record [installed]
mycroft-fallback-duck-duck-go [installed]
mycroft-playback-control [installed]
mycroft-version-checker [installed]
mycroft-speak [installed]
mycroft-wiki [installed]
mycroft-reminder [installed]
mycroft-installer [installed]
mycroft-hello-world [installed]
mycroft-ip [installed]
mycroft-personal [installed]
mycroft-naptime [installed]
mycroft-support-helper [installed]
mycroft-pairing [installed]
mycroft-sonos-controller-skill.smartgic [installed]
mycroft-stop [installed]
mycroft-spelling [installed]
mycroft-singing [installed]
mycroft-configuration [installed]
mycroft-volume [installed]
homeassistant [installed]
mycroft-timer [installed]
mycroft-wakeword-led-gpio-skill.smartgic [installed]
mycroft-npr-news [installed]
fallback-unknown [installed]
mycroft-weather [installed]
mycroft-date-time [installed]
mycroft-alarm [installed]
fallback-wolfram-alpha [installed]

Well, there goes my idea :wink:

The Pi02’s a great candidate for a client device. I’m excited to use it as a HiveMind dev platform! But I think you’ll find you’re skating too close to its memory limit with relatively few, very light skills going.

On the other hand, it’s pretty neat to learn that the whole stack can run inside of 500MB RAM, at least with online voice. An even lighter version running as a kiosk could definitely live in there.

Of course, that assumes the Zero doesn’t present additional surprises in practice. Maybe it lacks the Mazda factor (no zoom zoom)