ReSpeaker 4-Mic Array HAT Mycroft A.I. Skill

I am not able to bring it to run on my rpi-3b+ with picroft stable.

But I am unsure if it is because of my setup or your skill.
Can I send you any informations/logs?

EDIT:
With the commands here I think I bring it to run. I am running that skill on a RPi3B+ with Picroft stable.

But… The lights only show up once on the startup of mycroft.
Here is a video of that: Watch me

Hi suisat,

Are there errors showing up in your voice or audio logs? This is located at /var/log/mycroft/voice.log.

If the CLI is accepting commands you can tell it to “create a support ticket” and it will upload all your logs to termbin and email you a link. This can be much easier than fetching them manually.

In your other post you said “Mycroft is hearing me but only when I do some inputs” do you mean, only after typing things into the CLI?

Nothin in the skill-logs about that.
After isntall the j1nx skill for respeaker 4mic hat I had some issues about some pip-requirements but after install that, there gone.

But yesterday if foudn out how to run the LED’s.

1. Install the git skill from j1nx (msm install GIT-URL or within home.mycroft.ai)
  2. Start mycroft
  3. perhaps you need to say once “enable pixel ring” or “disable pixel ring”
  4. Restart mycroft and while booting up, check the pixel-ring on your respeaker. It should pop up for a second.
  5. Press CTRL+ALT+F2 and open another raspi-terminal
  6. Type in python and then:
from pixel_ring import pixel_ring
from gpiozero import LED
power = LED(5)
power.on()
pixel_ring.set_brightness(10)
pixel_ring.wakeup()
  1. As long as your python shell is running, it should work like a charm

Anything does not work in j1nx skill. Perhaps it has something todo with “self.en.write(1)” in the “def shutdown” function but I am npt sure. I try to replace the line with:

def shutdown(self):
     LOG.debug("shutdown")
     power = LED(5)
     power.off()

But without success.

@j1nx or @Dominik Did you have any idea why it does not run on my mycroft-stable instance on my Raspberry-PI-3b+ . It seems that mycroft has any problems with running or keeping the gpio power.

I would be very happy about any hints.

@gez-mycroft
How can I enable full-detailed-logging of the skill? I read this Log Files - Mycroft AI and yesterday I did add thisline to the init.py (respeaker-4mic-hat-skill/__init__.py at master · j1nx/respeaker-4mic-hat-skill · GitHub):

LOGGER = getLogger(__name__)

But that just enable the output like “initialising” or “speak”.

Here is a new video how beatiful it could be:

https://mega.nz/embed#!60xBzYRa!3hMBEOKGaC9JLziIXMPjOCZGCxyOtz1m78PzuZhMRc8

Hey, looking at the code j1nx has imported the logging utility as “LOG” so if you see on line 28 there is:
LOG.debug("initialising")

This is what’s causing the output. If you want to log something else, you need to add in some extra LOG.debug()

Slightly unrelated but fun side fact: the logger is now included in the base MycroftSkill class so we no longer need to import it at all. You can call this within the Skill using self.log.debug()

1 Like

I will add this to the init.py and write here something if I can see more in the skill.log.

THX

@suisat and @gez-mycroft First of all, my apologies for my late response / abscence. Momentarily it is rather busy with my daytime job, so haven’t much played with mycroft, nor being active online.

First things first;

This plugin was quickly, let say “blind” coded without any Python knowledge what so ever. I just saw @Dominik his Skill for the ReSpeaker V2 box and looking at his code I discovered that the Python libraries it used, already had everything in place for the “other” MIC arrays. That code also was properly commented, so it looked like a quick revamp to get it working on the 4-MIC array. Apparently is isn’t :wink:

I still don’t have much / any time to investigate or fix / adjust, but here are my thoughts on the above testing and information.

With the commands here I think I bring it to run. I am running that skill on a RPi3B+ with Picroft stable.

Yes, this is what I already expected some what. These commands can be added to a “requirements.sh” next to the “requirements.txt” file. Similar as this one from @Dominik ;

However the first command; “mycroft-pip install RPi.GPIO” should be removed and added to the “requirements.txt” file instead;

pixel-ring
gpiozero
RPi.GPIO

I don’t know if both; “gpiozero” and “RPi.GPIO” are needed, or that I made a mistake and “gpiozero” needs to be changed to “RPi.GPIO”

Then on to the strangest thing of all, you needed to type this into another terminal / python CLI;

from pixel_ring import pixel_ring
from gpiozero import LED
power = LED(5)
power.on()
pixel_ring.set_brightness(10)
pixel_ring.wakeup()

All this code is within the Skill init.py file as shown here;

So it looks like the code within the Skill is not properly loaded or initialised. I have no clue why as I don’t know Python yet.

What I can think of is that, perhaps the Skill initialisation fails because I deleted the " settingsmeta.json" ?!?! The content of it looked like only placeholders, so deleted it. It does not do much yet, but considering that you apparantly also can enable/disable the pixelring by commands, hence toggling it is needed to get stuff working, perhaps this file need to be there as well ?

Perhaps @forslund can have a look, if that could be the cause of it. Or perhaps you could test it by creating the file with the following content, similar as @Dominik ;

So far, my ideas and thoughts. Hope to start cracking with Mycroft again any time soon now…

Perhaps, this;

Is/ was also related with this;

https://github.com/j1nx/respeaker-4mic-hat-skill/blob/master/init.py#L19

Hmm, that shouldn’t make a difference the skill doesn’t seem to wait for the “message” message that the PR re-enabled…

The missing settingsmeta.json shouldn’t™ be an issue either.

From a quick glance I’m afraid I don’t see anything obviously wrong :confused:

No, RPi.GPIO and gpiozero are two different libraries for the same thing (accessing GPIO), where the gpiozero is the more conveniant one to program with. You are using gpiozero, so you can safely remove the RPi.GPIO requirement.

As already stated before: maybe user ‘mycroft’ is lacking permissions to access GPIO?
try sudo usermod -g gpio mycroft

There is no user mycroft in the pycroft stable release.

The newer picroft images doesn’t use the separate mycroft user. Try doing the suggested change for the pi user: sudo usermod -g gpio pi

Yeah, I did that already. Without success. :confused:

Perhaps it has smething todo with the the order of the skills that get loaded when Mycroft starts.
Is there a chance to force mycroft to load the skill at the end?

@j1nx sorry for my afk’nes :slight_smile:

Did you think we can together bring this skill to a stable rls?

1 Like

@suisat No worries, I was (still am a bit) busy aswell.

I am about to reflash my sd with the latest picroft image to start tackling this plugin again. So yes, let’s work together to figure out how to fix this. Assume it is just a small thing we are overlooking and we should be able to get it fixed.

Hope to get start cracking after the weekend.

1 Like

Any more updates on this? I’d love to see this working so i can replace the microphone in mine. I really love the microphones in the newer Alexa Echo (yes we play with them all) and would love my Mycroft to not feel left out.

Hi,

does Mycroft/Picroft support the 2-Mics-PiHat out of the box? Or is there another setup i don’t know yet…
Or does the 4-Mic-Skill works also with 2 Mics?

Cheers and thanx
Caruso

@mtwannabe No updates from my side. Just to busy with all other crap in life :wink:

The microphone itself works perfectly though. Just follow the wiki of seeed and you should be good to go. I believe all mic array RPi board use the same driver, so should all work.

@suisat Do you have time to checkout the latest version of this skill?

Did some changes that I tried to test, but when loading the skill my whole RPI stalled ?!? Thought I did something wrong, but considering that I suspect my RPI is hardware failing on me (Wifi troubles as described in my MycroftOS thread) and the wifi is a SDIO system as well. Perhaps the stalling is related to that same hardware failing crap.

Just checkout the new version to check. Please be aware that the; “sudo usermod -g gpio pi” command is not integrated yet. So please add your user running mycroft to that group and don’t forget to enable GPIO within the confix.txt fro your device.

Could you give it a go and report back?

(Or anyone else for that matter if they have the respeaker

1 Like

Nice! I will check that later and give you a report.

I got the Array itself running on the RP4 without any problems, but after installing the skill I only get this error. :-/

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/mycroft-core/mycroft/skills/mycroft_skill/event_container.py", line 66, in wrapper
    handler(message)
  File "/opt/mycroft/skills/respeaker-4mic-hat-skill.j1nx/__init__.py", line 76, in handle_listener_started
    pixel_ring.set_color_palette(self.main_blue, self.main_blue)
AttributeError: 'PixelRing' object has no attribute 'set_color_palette'
 16:27:08.565 | INFO     |   732 | AlarmSkill | on ended...