[Security] Parental Controls

Skill name: something-meaningful-skill

User story:

We need to have parental controls, which would tailor each of Mycroft’s responses, based on who is asking a question (adult/kid). The tailoring would not be transparent to user (he/she need not be aware of it).

Child monitoring should be an option, that can be enabled/disabled.

What third party services, data sets or platforms will the Skill interact with?

Are there similar Mycroft Skills already? No

See https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-skills for a list. If so, how could they be combined?

What will the user Speak to trigger the Skill?

{Enable/Disable Parental Lock} {Passphrase/Password}

What phrases will Mycroft Speak?

Parental Controls {Enabled/Disabled}

What Skill Settings will this Skill need to store?

Identification the adult (intially via passphrase) and tonality.

Other comments?
A couple of ideas were originally brought up @s0f1xIT, at What "Skills" Will You Make for Mycroft?. Thanks!

I think a first, basic implementation of this that simply locks out skills such as Wikipedia queries which could return adult information would be practical to create. It also seems worth looking at the ChatterBox program created by @JarbasAl and it’s potential since it’s already made for children.
I’ve added it to our community development list, which I’ll share publicly soon. :slight_smile:

The OVOS Easter Egg skill has default parental controls (“grandma mode”) since several of the sounds contain language not appropriate for young children. Perhaps the setting can be controlled by config and skills can implement controls based on the setting presence?

2 Likes