Sonos controller skill - testing and feedback

My first attempt at making a skill, any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Sonos controller skill

A simple mycroft skill to control sonos speakers

Description

Uses the SoCo library to control sonos speakers

You can set a default speaker in the settings, otherwise a random active speaker will be chosen at initialisation

sonos_gui

Examples

• “sonos play”
  • “sonos pause”
  • “sonos next”
  • “sonos previous”
  • “sonos louder / volume up”
  • “sonos quieter / volume down”
  • “sonos shuffle on”
  • “sonos shuffle off”
  • “sonos playlist playlist_name”
  • “sonos playlist playlist_name in the living room”
  • “sonos play album album_name”
  • “sonos set living room (as active speaker)”
  • “search for sonos speakers”
  • “show album (art)” (requires mycroft-gui)
  • “sonos what’s playing?”

Specific music services (e.g. Spotify) are not (yet) implemented as I do not have any accounts

github

https://github.com/boxledev/sonos-controller

3 Likes

Great work! Will try it soon…

There is another sonos-control-skill, but this wasn’t updated for more than 1,5 years and has no support for Mycroft-GUI.

Hi. I wanna test and can help in development as I have a spotify account. I am completely new to mycroft. I just got a picroft device up and running, I forked your gihub repo and am trying to install the skill using ```` msm install . I think I am missing something in the skill installation process… :slight_smile:

2020-10-13 15:44:01.465 | WARNING  |  9035 | soco.data_structures_entry | DATA STRUCTURE UPGRADE FAIL. Unable to upgrade music library data structure to music service data structure because an entry is missing for DidlFavorite in DIDL_NAME_TO_QUALIFIED_MS_NAME. This should be reported as a bug.
2020-10-13 15:44:01.474 | WARNING  |  9035 | soco.data_structures_entry | DATA STRUCTURE UPGRADE FAIL. Unable to upgrade music library data structure to music service data structure because an entry is missing for DidlFavorite in DIDL_NAME_TO_QUALIFIED_MS_NAME. This should be reported as a bug.
2020-10-13 15:44:01.482 | ERROR    |  9035 | mycroft.skills.skill_loader:_create_skill_instance:271 | Skill __init__ failed with KeyError('resources')
Traceback (most recent call last):

If you are interested in discussing via Slack: https://join.slack.com/t/sonosmycroft/shared_invite/zt-i9k7v004-m0vqLr2q8cXRh4Z_LPb8Ag

hi. there was indeed a problem with one of the commands. Should be fixed now.
Can you try again?

I will try your changes. I think there was another issue, that I workarounded in a branch: https://github.com/lnguyenh/sonos-controller (I forked your repo). Some of my playlists did not have “resources”. But in my fix I think I broke another command. Tonight or tomorrow I will try to get things working with Spotify, and fix the command I broke.

Example of playlists missing a key in a dict.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 17.28.43

Try the slack link from my post above if you wanna discuss faster :slight_smile:

Darn, it seems that getting more direct access to spotify (to search, play specific playlist or albums) is not possible anymore via SoCo :

(see the readme here as well: https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo

I didn’t know about the spotify (and other music services) change of policy. Makes me glad to have my music locally :wink:
About your problem with resources, can you elaborate a bit on that? I’ve not seen any playlists that do no have a resource, how would they get played if there’s no location for them? Can you play them through the official sonos app? Are they local music files or part of a music service such as spotify? in case of the latter I fear we can only add a fix to skip importing unsupported playlists.

Hello boxledev
I think it could be easier to discuss either on

I could show you some samples in an easier way, and continue the discussion.

But anyway. Even if I skip the favorites that dont have resources, I get a upnp error when I try to play the first favorite that does have a URI (see the screenshot above, i sed the uri from “broken politics”). I start to feel a bit pessimistic :).
Last thing I tried is to use the “spotipy” python library and ttrying to use soco to play things on sonos from the data I get from spotipy, but so far, no success.

There is a PR on SoCo project to bring back the music services (Spotify, etc…).

This is great news! I see you are contributing to the soco project. Once they release a new Soco version, feel free to also contribute to this skill. I started this skill as a first project to try and get to know mycroft, and for me local control was sufficient. But it would be nice to expand the possibilities. Unfortunately my sonos setup is quite limited, I only have 2 speakers, one in each room, so it’s hard for me to test different setups and combinations (and not frustrate my significant other :wink: )

1 Like