SSID Mycroft not connecting

Hi,

I’ve recently started working with Mycroft and for the most part I’ve used it on Ubuntu and the Mark I device with ethernet cable. However now I need the Mark I device to work with wifi but I can not seem to connect to the SSID Mycroft and get to the page start.mycroft.ai. I have tried with my laptop and my phone but neither worked. Could you please help me?

Best,
Camille

Hi Camille,

Sorry to hear you’ve been having trouble getting the WiFi connected from the Mark 1.

There are two hardware limitations of the Mark 1 that are worth ruling out first:

• Mark 1 cannot connect to WiFi networks that operate in the 5GHz band.
  • Mark 1 cannot connect to WiFi networks that operate on Channels 12 or 13 (2467MHz and 2472MHz frequencies).

Are you able to check which band and channel your WiFi is currently using?

After selecting WiFi from the on device menu, were you able to connect to the temporary MYCROFT network using the password “12345678”?

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.
The wifi network does not operate in the 5GHz band nor on Channels 12 or 13. The problem was really with the temporary MYCROFT network, we could not connect to it. In the end, we simply added manually on the Raspberry PI the name and password of the wifi. So it works in the end!

Thank you,
Camille

Hey glad it’s working.

In case there is something we can fix for others though. I’m wondering where you think the issue started based on the steps of:

1. From a phone or another computer, the MYCROFT network becomes available
  2. Enter the password 12345678
  3. Device authenticates and connects with the network
  4. Head to start.mycroft.ai
  5. Select WiFi network to connect to and enter password
  6. Mark 1 attempts to connect

As in, were you able to enter a password and it didn’t authenticate, or you seemed to be connected to the network but start.mycroft.ai wouldn’t load, or something else?

Were there any existing credentials in WPA_supplicant when you added the new credentials in manually?

Hi,

I think the problem occurred during the authentication because I could enter a password but the connection seemed to fail each time. And I tried on a few different devices.

And no there weren’t any existing credentials in WPA_supplicant.

Apart from MYCROFT SSID and password of course.
Edit: actually I just checked the wpa_supplicant since I wasn’t actually the one who changed it, here is what we had:

network={
ssid=“MYCROFT”
psk=“12345678”
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
mode=3
disabled=2
}

network={
ssid=“MYCROFT”
bssid=ba:27:eb:27:4e:db
psk=“12345678”
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
mode=3
disabled=2
}

network={
ssid=“LAPTOP-D86MRSK5 1980”
psk=“xxxxxx”
}

network={
ssid=“LAPTOP-D86MRSK5 1980”
psk=“xxxxxxx”
}

The last two networks are from a previous person who worked on the device.

Thanks, we’re doing some updates on this system for the Mark II, so I’ll flag this thread with the team in case they have any more questions :slight_smile: