Mycroft Community Forum

Suggested Vernacular for Patent Troll ( NSFW )

I’m writing an update for the community about our patent troll and need some help.

I’m trying to figure out how to best refer to the company and the trolls that are suing us.

My preference so far is “leaking colostomy bag of putrefying feces” or “Shitbag” for short, but I want to open the floor to the rest of our community to see if there are any other ideas.

So if you have an idea for a phrase and short name that accurately encapsulates the giant sucking blowhole that is our friendly neighborhood patent troll, please drop it here so we can consider it.

2 Likes

They’re oxygen thieves.

1 Like

Thank you @baconator

Really? No one else? These folks are putting the entire project, community and future of open voice tech in jeopardy. If they win this BS lawsuit they could potentially zero out all of the investment and crowdfunding that has gone into the project. All for their own personal gain.

and you don’t have ANY creative ways to describe them?

insults are childish, i dont get the point of this post

No one agrees with the Trolls, all of us would have a thousand insults for them. but “help me insult these guys” is a weird thing to ask of a community

I don’t think its smart either, didn’t you get into issues already because of your previous “call to arms” ? It sucks to see your 1st amendment ignored, but you already had to remove your previous insults once

To be clear I’m on your side, these trolls deserve the insults! I’m just confused with the purpose of this post

4 Likes

if you need help with your insults, here is an API for that

https://insult.mattbas.org/api/insult

While I strongly disagree with how the patent troll is operating, I think Mycroft AI also needs to be careful around how their interaction in this matter is being perceived in the wider open source, and open voice community, and how that reflects on how Mycroft AI approaches relationships in general.

3 Likes

I agree with Jabas here. I don’t think it’s beneficial to create an environment where they can gather bias.

Isn’t the whole open source project prone to be patent trolled? How is this handled earlier on?

1 Like

@JarbasAl and @KathyReid are spot on here. I don’t think there is anyone who is in this community that sides with the patent troll, but name calling is a waste of energy, effort, and blood pressure. And also plays into their hands. We all have invested in this project creatively, and / or financially and don’t want the project to be railroaded by this troll, but we need to take the high road on this one.

2 Likes

@JarbasAI, @KathyReid & @SGee - Taking that line of reasoning, why don’t we just pay them? They only wanted $30K and we’re more than $100K into the case already.

If we’re just going to do the same thing as all of the buttoned up, professional companies out there, lets go ahead and just pay. That would be the professional and responsible thing to do after all, yes?

The only thing Mycroft gets out of the case is, MAYBE, some positive PR. The only reason the main stream media and the EFF are tracking this case at all is because of my over-the-top rhetoric in setting our policy.

If we’re just going to be staid and boring with our communications we might as well settle because we won’t get any additional coverage and pursuing the case is a waste of money that would be much better spent developing the Mark II.

1 Like

Thinking of this a bit deeper, I want to add a couple of additional thoughts.

-1. @JarbasAI - you understand that they are going to sue you, yes? They’ve asked for your name, your company’s name and your address. It’s the full time team here that is protecting you.

If I’m asking for some help here it is probably for a reason. I’m an extremely busy guy and don’t waste time on things like this unless I’ve got a plan.

If you want input into the patent troll strategy, feel free to have your legal team reach out to our legal team and we’ll set up a call under privilege. We could use additional paid counsel.

-2. Controversy drives media coverage. Boring patent filings don’t. If we want to get anything out of this case we need to amp up the controversy and make damn sure people are reading about it.

The end state of all of the spending we’re doing on this patent case should be a reputation in the patent troll community similar to NewEgg’s. “Don’t mess with the Mycroft they will bring the pain, and they will do it in public.”

-3. I feel like I’m being shushed by a nanny here. When did the Mycroft community become so adverse to a bit of fun?

( Edited for formatting and some stray words because of some weirdness with newlines and list items )

Have you talked over this with your attorneys? I’m assuming you haven’t, because given the history of your case and how the patent trolls have reacted, this seems like the type of conduct that might be frowned upon. I know you guys are a small shop and might not have the money to hire Polsinelli and a PR firm, but I’d hate to see your actions come back to bite you in the butt.

We’ve retained Maschoff Brennan ( Lee Cheng of NewEgg Fame ), Lathrop GPM ( IP ), Maneke Law Group ( State Patent Troll Case ), Mark Brown Law ( IP ) and the Avant Law Group ( IP ).

We’re on track to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars defeating these trolls. That is money that could go into software development, hardware development, marketing, inventory, R&D or sales. Instead, we’re wasting it fighting against this sack of deformed monkey toenails ( thanks for the API link @JarbasAl ).

On the PR Side: We’ve worked with PR firms in the past and they’ve universally under-performed.
We built our company, brand, community and reputation by being authentic. We are known for privacy because we believe in privacy and walk the walk. We are known for openness because we believe in openness and operate transparently. PR may be needed for companies that hide things and engage in nefarious activities ( like the deformed mass of odious anal puss patent trolls ), but Mycroft hasn’t needed PR because we’re up-front with our community.

The judge was wrong to order the editing of our original post, but we chose not to fight it because we didn’t want to piss her off. That doesn’t change the fact that she was wrong. If we wanted to press the issue we could easily get her overruled by a higher court. We’ve just chosen not to. I’m sure she had the best of intentions, but if she tries to infringe on my first amendment rights again I’ll appeal the ruling and I’ll win. But I’ll do so at the time and place of my choosing.

Now pissing off the ignorant snot bag (still loving this API ) patent abusers at Tumey Llp? That I’m more than happy to do. Frankly I hope they die of complications related to genital herpes.

We are, despite the over the top rhetoric, being strategic. Strategic doesn’t mean staid and polite, it means developing an overarching strategy and following it through to it’s conclusion.

A good strategy can be summed up in a single sentence. Ideally it can also be published in full view of the enemy and still succeed. Ours is simple:

“Fight all patent abusers robustly both in the court of law and the court of public opinion in order to deter future abuse.”

I don’t think anyone disagrees that you should be spend the money defending the suit. That’s exactly the right course. You can’t cave to these guys.

And the judge was absolutely, extraordinarily wrong to order you to edit your post.

But do you really want to goad the plaintiffs? If it’s about goading the judge to do it again (which it obviously isn’t) then there wouldn’t be much point, because you’ve already got grounds for appeal. So it’s about goading the plaintiffs. I’m inclined to taunt them as well. They suck. Don’t do it. The judge has already demonstrated that she’s willing to rule on their hurt feelings.

What’s the point? You’ve got expensive attorneys. Let them focus on the defense. Anything you do that prompts the plaintiffs to file another motion for this, that, or the other bullshit, is that much more cruft that your expensive attorneys have to address. They should be focused on the absurdity of the suit, the plaintiff’s interpretation of the patent, the patent itself, and the plaintiff’s history of what are plainly fraudulent, extortionate lawsuits, based on dubious patents, which the plaintiff knows or should know are not enforceable. And that’s to say nothing of the fact that, in this case, the dubious patent doesn’t even describe Mycroft!

That’s plenty of work for the lawyers. You can speak forcefully about the issue without taunting the guy.

Ah, but we can’t. A forceful, well thought out argument that is above the fray…yawn. No coverage. Speaking forcefully is only effective if the message is widely broadcast.

I fully expect Tumey and his band of inbred cat nipples to file additional motions about the grievous nature of revealing ( SHOCK ) their names, business addresses, professional affiliations and other information that is ( DRUMROLL ) already in the public domain.

That’s kind of the point. Controversy drives coverage. That’s why they want us censored in the first place. They want to operate in the shadows. Controversy, colorful language and outside-the-box approaches to PR help to shine a media spotlight on them.

2 Likes

If they’re surprised that their names are on the intarwebz, they shouldn’t have put them out there. :confused:

Freeloading leach like scum.

I shouldn’t weigh in here, but scum is a good word. It might convey the original idea while also not selecting sexist type words.

2 Likes

Hey, forum newbie here.

I just discovered Mycroft due to the EFF coverage of Hon. Ketchmark’s order. Loving it so far.

I worked for about 6 years in politics and law, before transitioning to software engineering. I am certainly not a lawyer, but I’ve known a lot of them. And judges and journalists and lawmakers, etc. I’ve gotten a “backstage pass” to hot-button litigation.

Wanted to chime in real quick here and remind people that these types of cases are not won by playing nice. Insults are uncomfortable and ugly. I know that. When I was new to law, I had this starry eyed idea that lawyers make calm and reasoned arguments in front of an unbiased judge who would rule in a fair and honorable way.

Ahahaha, nope.

Sorry if I rub anyone the wrong way here. Obviously, I am new and missing a lot of context, but. . . a stranger has just walked up and punched your project in the face.

Don’t tell anyone to calm down and be reasonable. A stranger has just walked up and punched your project in the face.

Cases like this can be won (sometimes) but only by showing the opponent that you are willing to do whatever it takes (staying legal, of course). If you don’t want to be personally involved in the ugliness, that’s fair. It is ugly. Just please, do what you can to unite as a community. Having viable alternatives to spyware voice assistants is something I care about a lot and I really want Mycroft to survive this.

1 Like

On the original topic of the post, though, I second @krisadair. Nothing sexist/ableist/racist, etc. That’s a quick way to turn public opinion hard against you. Like for serious, do a web search on any insults you pick, and make sure.

3 Likes

Welcome @bat_fan - good to hear another perspective on it.

And couldn’t agree more. We’re ready to do whatever it takes, but don’t want to lose our morals along the way.

1 Like