Testing And Feedback for Emby Skill

How to install Emby Skill

• Service Required

• Install via msm:

• Emby Skill connects to an Emby Server

• The Host, port, username and password must be input at Mycroft.ai in the skills configuration section. Unless you’ve configured your Emby server to be available over the internet the Mycroft device and the Emby Server should be on the same network
    • Note: If you do not use a password to access Emby, leave the password field blank. Authentication of skill does not use Emby Connect.

How to test Emby Skill

• Setup an Emby Server (If you don’t already have one :slight_smile: )
  • Configure the Skill Settings in home.mycroft.ai
  • Speak Play {artist/album/song} From Emby
    • Example: Play Thrice From Emby
  • Mycroft will search the Emby Server for the {artist/album/song} and play an ‘Instant Mix’ based on it.
    • An instant mix is similar to a Pandora radio station where similar music is played as to what was requested

Skill Pass Criteria

• Skill authenticates and plays an Instant mix from given Emby Server

Skill Failure Criteria

• Skill does not install
  • Skill fails to authenticate to Emby Server
  • Skill does not play music when requested

Feedback

Feedback can be provided in a few ways

• via github issues
  • In response to this topic
  • In the Mycroft Chat -> @sampsonight
2 Likes

@sampsonight I’m having a bit of trouble testing this skill.
I was able to install and configure the skill on home.mycroft.ai, however mycroft just says that he is unable to play the song.

1 Like

@brrn,

Thanks for giving the skill a go. I’m not sure why the skill couldn’t find the song.
If you could provide additional information that would be great!

What platform are you running mycroft on? Mark1/picroft/linux.

Can you paste the log file after attempting to play the song? I have some debug messages in the skill that may help figure out what is going wrong.
If you’re using the mark 1 the log files for the skill are located: /var/log/mycroft/skills.log

In addition, if you log into Emby you should see an Active Device in the dashboard labeled: mark1 mycroft 0.1

Thank you!

Okay, seemed to be my fault, not the skill’s fault. However,now, the mycroft plays my music from Emby!

A few other tidbits:

• It startled me when the skill, on startup, said that it could not connect to emby. Maybe change this so that the skill alerts the user when they first use the skill - not during startup.
  • I looked through your code and saw that you used the speak method sometimes. Using the speak_dialog method with dialog files allows the skill to be translated into other languages.

I’d be able to “vouch” for this skill to be put in the skills repo. :grinning:

Update: just did.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and vouching for the skill! I just added the 2 tidbits as github issues to work on.

If you run into any issues or have feature requests don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

Courtesy note to say this is on my list to review, haven’t forgotten!

1 Like

Merged :slight_smile: :blush:
Thanks both for the submission @sampsonight and @brrn for validating, appreciated.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I am starting my journey into the Mycroft world and I love it. I found the Emby skill and thought, what a fantastic idea.

I have Mycroft and Emby both configured but cant get them to play nice together. I keep getting an unable to find and play error. I am a noob so the possibility that I mis-configured something is high.

What info would be helpful to diagnose this issue?

Hey, to work out what’s happening it would be good to check the latest audio, skills and voice logs.

To upload a log file to termbin.com you can use:
cat /var/log/mycroft/audio.log | nc termbin.com 9999
Then the same for skills.log and voice.log
Each time you run the command, it will provide a url. If you can post those here I’m sure someone will be able to help diagnose what’s going on.

Logs are always helpful as @gez-mycroft has suggested.
How did you set up the skill? You will need to input the url, port, username, and password on https://home.mycroft.ai under the skills tab.
Also the skill does not yet support Emby connect so the mycroft and Emby server need to be on the same network.

Thank you all for the ideas. Below are the 3 logs you suggested.
Also @sampsonight thank you for the set up info. I double checked and I think i have it all set up correctly.

Audio log

https://termbin.com/lwg9

Skills log

https://termbin.com/zmgx6

Voice log

https://termbin.com/wa85

@ejtonge,

After reviewing the logs I’m not sure why mycroft is not playing the songs. i see many attempts to invoke the skill with the correct format. I did see a ‘Failed to connect to Emby’ in the logs.

From the device running mycroft can you ping the emby server using the hostname you set in the config?

Hi ejtonge,

How did you install the Emby Skill in Mycroft?

Did you run mycroft-msm install https://github.com/rickyphewitt/emby-skill
To verify it’s installed properly from the CLI (the interface when you run mycroft-cli-client), you can type :skills which shows a list of all the skills installed. Can you confirm that the skill is listed there?

The skills.log doesn’t seem to cover the same time period as the others so it’s a little harder to tell but it looks like you’ve got the Fallback Recommendations Skill installed and when you tried to invoke Emby it offered to download another skill, is that right?

Also curious, what does your overall setup look like? Eg 2x Raspberry Pi’s - one for Emby and one for Mycroft? Or something else?

So after all the help with logs and troubleshooting Emby now works. No joke, it just starting working yesterday. No changes in configuration. All I did do was delete all the medial and re-added it to Emby.
So good news is it works. Yeah!!!

1 Like

Haha, sometimes best not to ask why in these situations. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

using this skill on my newly built mycroft in 2022 and loving it