Using Mimic as a Standalone Program...?

I was just curious if there was an install option for using Mimic as a standalone program. Or is it better to put it in my path from within the install/build directory and call it that way?

Essentially I would like to add its functionality to simply be called upon in the CLI or through a script, but would prefer it to be usable system-wide and not dependent upon its presence within the myctoft-core directory structure.

I hope that makes sense.

It makes sense

1 Like

As @newone said, it makes perfect sense.

mimic can be installed on your system as any other cli application. It’s available as a package for Fedora and I think it can be installed on ubuntu systems using the mycroft repo. Otherwise go to https://github.com/mycroft.ai/mimic and follow the instructions to build and install using config, make, make install

Takes a bit of time to build though.

Any problems give me a shout.

1 Like

Oh yes, I do have it installed via the git repo, and built and running for mycroft. And it did take quite a while to actually build, but I was expecting that from reading before install.

I was just more curious as to the best approach to install it so as not not have to be called from within its own directory and make it more of a system-wide available program. I mean I CAN just call it from ~/mycroft-core/mimic/mimic.sh but I’d prefer it to be more open all around for use.

I was simply thinking a symlink from its own directory to /usr/bin/mimic in order to do that, but does its deps need to be in my path globally since they are installed in ~/mycroft-core/mimic/ or is there a way to install it so that the libs and all deps go into their respective places for use within the whole system?

Since you have it downloaded in the mycroft directory I suggest the following

from the mycroft directory:

cd mimic
mkdir build-sys
cd build-sys
../configure
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

That will give you a system wide installation of mimic (will be installed in /usr/local/bin)

/Åke

Thank you for the input. I have done that and it seems to be working as I wanted. I appreciate the response!

2 Likes

any screenshots @wedjlok please

I don’t actually have any screenshots because by doing this it just allows me to use mimic via terminal, or to pipe things through it.

@wedjlok we also have some documentation here that may be useful: