Wake Word not recognized when spoken by a female

I installed mycroft on a pi 3. I have it set for the hey jarvis wakeword in advanced settings. It works fine whenever I say it, but when my wife says it it won’t recognize her. She’s tried saying it in different pronunciations and tones, but it just won’t recognize. If I say the wake word she can ask it a question and it seems to respond normally. I tried digging through the code a bit, but I don’t have any previous experience with manipulating audio data. I can’t figure out why wake word doesn’t work for her, but the stt seems to function normally once it is awake. Has anyone else had this issue?

1 Like

This is because custom wake words use Pocketsphinx which is really bad at picking up higher pitched voices. For now, options you have are:

• Change the wake word back to hey mycroft for now (so that it uses Precise wake word listener). In the future we are planning on training Precise for other wake words
  • Select hey jarvis but then go into the custom wake word option and mess with the threshold (warning: this will increase false activations)
4 Likes

Related thread Family Acceptance Factor

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the info. I will give it a shot.

1 Like