Wifi credentials not being accepted

I just downloaded and burned the picroft image from 3.14. I get through the boot sequence without any issue except that I can’t get it to connect to wifi. I’m on a Pi zero w and I realize I won’t have enough computing power to run Mycroft but I would think I should be able to get it to connect to wifi. I modified the wpa_supplicant.conf file and added my wifi ssid and password. I have verified that my wifi is working correctly but I just can’t figure out how to get it connected with this image. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The documentation for manually configuring Picroft Wi-Fi is here;

but it sounds like this isn’t working. What do the logs at /var/log/mycroft-wifi-setup.log say?

The logs are empty. I’m wondering if it’s an issue with Raspbian itself. There seem to be several issues that I have found with a zero w not being able to connect with some versions of Jessie. What version of Raspian is the current release of picroft based on?

Good question for @forslund - who’s in transit for the next day or so

@Wolfgange might be better than me here.

Have you manually changed the wpa_supplicant.conf or have you tried to connect using the Wifi-setup (Capture portal you can connect to to setup the wifi connection)

What type of encryption are you using on your wifi?

Yes I did change the wpa_supplicant.conf file manually. I’m using wpa2 encryption so it should work.

I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the version of Raspbian that’s used for picroft. Because I’m using a pi zero w, maybe the drivers aren’t present. I’m going to give the latest unstable version a try and see if it makes any difference.

That might be a possible explanation. This might be helpful: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=184677

Edit:
Upgrading the kernel/system will probably make the wifi-setup process fail but you should be able to configure manually using the wpa_supplicant.conf

1 Like

Haven’t been able to try upgrading yet. I’m thinking I’ll probably just buy a new pi 3 and use that instead.

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. The wifi setup has now moved under the umbrella of the mycroft-admin-service. If you wanted to troubleshoit further, make sure to look under /var/log/mycroft-admin-service.log.

Hope this helps,
- Matthew

1 Like