Will picroft work with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

Hi together,

The official guide from Picroft (https://mycroft.ai/documentation/picroft/) recommends the Raspberry Pi 3 and showing: “supportet”. For a few days, the Raspberry Pi 4 has been made available in different configurations. Is there already experience or official statements in this regard?

I am looking forward to your feedback.

I don’t think there should be any issue, although I don’t have anything official to back up that statement. I have a 4+ 4gb on the way so hopefully I will know in a couple days. Will post back once I’ve tried it out.

RPI4 comes with brand new Debian Buster. To my knowledge Mycroft is not tested on Buster yet.

There might also be some hardware related issues - at least in the beginning - as there were major changes for audio, video and USB on the RPI4.

1 Like

Yep, Dominik is spot on.

We’re all waiting for our new Pi’s at the moment, and different members of our team individually ordered different versions (1, 2, and 4GB) so we’ll be able to test the performance of Mycroft on each :slight_smile:

Thanks for your informations. I will wait a little bit before buying one ;-). Looking forward to read from someone when he has test it.

Id does NOT work with the Image. But with default raspbian and following the manual approach it works.

(tested with 4GB model)

Mine should be here today as well, 4gb version, i built a buster picroft img following the instructions so may give that a try along with rasbian buster master clone and dietpi buster build. Will post back with anything I find out as well.

My pi4 hasn’t shown up yet, the tracking I believed to be it turned out to be something else :frowning: No idea on delivery now.

What does this mean? In particular the ‘But with default raspbian and following the manual approach it works’ bit. Did you get picroft working? If so could you please describe your method?

Thanks

This means I followed the “MyCroft on Linux” docs instead of using the prebuild PiCroft-Image

I’ve written an install script for raspbian buster that sets everything up including mycroft, spotifyd and pulseaudio. It includes building the systemd scripts to run everything as a service and start at boot. Works well on my rpi3+ and will test it on the pi4+ when it arrives. I will post the script after I’ve cleaned it up a bit and added a few more comments to it. The script is basically a culmination of different sources including some of the picroft scripts.

4 Likes

If you have any more info on this that would be great as I want to use a RPI4 with your new scripts and also install the aiml skill so can progress even further for a home assistant we have been wanting to build.

Here is the link to the script on Github. I’ve used it twice on a rpi4+ after a fresh install of raspbian buster and setting up ssh and wifi. Took about 18 minutes from script start to completion and reboot without building mimic. After first reboot mycroft will start and you may have to use the cli interface to get the pairing code. After pairing is complete and a second reboot everything should start up and the finished booting skill should alert you that its done booting.

Note: An “error” will display during the script for both the finished booting and respeaker skill install because the skill.json file doesn’t exist yet, it can be ignored.

https://github.com/arraylabs/mycroft_install_script

2 Likes

3 months gone… Any results from the other team members?

It would be really nice if you can do a little compare between:
rpi 3b - 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM & BCM2837B0 Cortex-A53 @ 1.4GHz
rbi4 - 1GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM & BCM2711 Cortex-A72 @ 1.5GHz
rbi4 - 2GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM & BCM2711 Cortex-A72 @ 1.5GHz
rbi4 - 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM & BCM2711 Cortex-A72 @ 1.5GHz

Specialy the reaction time of mycroft and some comparable actions like play a song from spotify-skill.

This would be really good to know.

1 Like

From the Mattermost - Picroft channel;

ANNOUNCEMENT: Picroft for Buster is ready for testing!
I have created a Buster branch of the Picroft scripts. This is for use with the Raspbian Buster Lite image. I’ve also uploaded a prebuilt image which you can just burn to an SD and run on your Pi 3/3B+/4 – yes that’s right, it supports the Pi 4 now.

There are a few other minor changes in scripts, but nothing huge. You can see the code on the repo (look at the repo link at the top of this chat). The prebuilt image is the “unstable” one (see the “Unstable Image” link at the top).
For the lazy, the download link is: https://mycroft.ai/to/picroft-unstable

Please let me know how this works for you!

So, if you have a rpi4 you could give it a go.

1 Like

THX a lot. It works nice.

But I have just some questions:

• Is there a chance to pre-build 2 images. 1 with ssh pre-enabled and another without.
  • Installed the image 3 times now. Once I had a limited connection (a really strong firewall :confused: ). I ask myself what we could do against this. For example warn the user if mycroft or raspbian itself can not be updatet or any important ports are blocked. In my case it seems to be that the setup-wizard was not able to update itself (no github connection and no mycroft-home connection was possible) and then I was not able to choose “respeaker array v2” in the list
  • Can we find a fancy way to improve the standard password security problem. I really dont want bad-news about “hacked” picoft instances in the future. Once I read about a method wich use the onboard-led. But I can image also a output with the 3.5-jack to a speaker: “Hello I am mycroft, your personal assistant. You are connected to the internet and the most important ports a accessable. Your user is picroft and your password is 29848827174937726
  • What is about updates. I know that mycroft update itself but how often and would it happen if I never reboot my picroft? And what is about the raspbian itself? Should I do apt update & upgrade sometimes?

Greetings by suisat