Mycroft Community Forum

Google AIY v1 with Mycroft 20.08-no mic

Honestly, I think I finally have this little jerk working, after all this troubleshooting.

Here’s a recap of my woes for anyone stumbling upon this page, looking for help:

  1. My girlfried bought me a Pi v3B last Christmas, and I had been trying to figure out what to do with it, since I like the Pi v4-8GB.
  2. I found Mycroft, and the Google AIY v1 was listed as supported.
  3. I bought an AIY v1 voice kit for $30 off eBay and printed an enclosure on my Sovol SV01 3D printer.
  4. The new Buster Raspbi images break the AIY v1 mic, unless the 91-pulseaudio-rpi.rules file is edited, using what I have written in one of the above posts.
  5. The file is found in /lib/dev/rules.d. Once edited, reboot and test out mic.
  6. Switch listener from Sphinx to Precise; since it loads Sphinx from default.
  7. I am using the default Hey Jarvis wake-word, which was selected when doing the online pairing.
  8. Edit mycroft-config with what I have in one of the above posts.
  9. Change mic volume from 100% to 30-35% in alsamixer.
  10. Install google-aiy-voicekit skill.
  11. Test out Mycroft.
2 Likes

From what I see here[1], there is only Hey Mycroft . From the source code[2], I can see an URL which I’m not able to browse so maybe there are the three others there.

[1]https://github.com/MycroftAI/precise-data/tree/production_models
[2]https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-core/blob/dev/mycroft/client/speech/hotword_factory.py#L196

only hey mycroft is precise, maybe also christopher, the others are pocketsphinx

See https://github.com/MycroftAI/precise-data/tree/models

I don’t follow your project but I discovered that problem, I link the discussions so you can examine that file 91


and
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=294600&p=1783790#p1783790

@JarbasAl @goldyfruit Here is a screenshot of my phone on the account.mycroft.ai page. I have selected Hey Jarvis, and my .conf file has Precise configuration. It is working. I’m not sure what you guys are seeing, but that is what I have.

Regardless of the wake-word used, my wake-word problem was my mic input being too loud. Once lowered, the wake-word activated Mycroft from only a few feet away.

If what you are saying is correct, then what do I need to add into my .conf file for it to be Hey Jarvis, and use the Sphinx listener?

hey jarvis from backend should use pocketsphinx automatically

was just rulling out a problem with precise

your volume issue makes some sense, but its somewhat unexpected…

I do not know your program but if the voice recognition relies on the pyaudio library, it has been ascertained that the updated version of pulseaudio conflicts with pyaudio

@aandroide Thank you for the help.

1 Like

@nerlins Good to hear you are up and running as well. :ok_hand:
will check if the 91-pulseaudio-rpi.rules file is still around after I did rerun the setup-wizard

I had the mic work randomly once on an install without changing the file. It was like magic, but then went away. I would alter the file, like I did, because the mic now works 100% of the time.

this probably happened because as soon as you installed the image, pulseadio was not yet updated to the rpi2 version which contains that file 91.
maybe not everyone knows that after 2 days, the Raspberry is set to download updates automatically and consequently pulseaudio as well that’s why many users say they haven’t touched anything and that it broke by itself. on January 8th they released the new kernel update but I still haven’t checked if they fixed that problem.

I will definitely check the new update.