How to install skills on Mark II

We need to get the install skill installed. But even if that is installed apps need to be updated to work with dinkum.

Not sure what it is, but there are some clues in the commit history of the skills that do work.

1 Like

This explains the changes made to dinkum. Well, at least to the Hello World Skill. I tried to follow these steps and apply them to the Joke skill, but I was unsuccessful.

2 Likes

I am encouraging anyone in the US to file a complaint the the FTC over this practice. This is a classic bait and switch(Illegal in the US and most other countries) even if unintentional. They should have made the announcement and offered an opt out period but they did not. Here is where you go to file a complaint. It takes less than 5 minutes.

1 Like

Excuse me if I’m missing something or being dense, but I’m not seeing any official reply from the mycroft project on this thread. Maybe it’s here and their avatars aren’t obvious to me, but it seems like silence, which would be about the worst possible way to handle things.
Is there a response from mycroft? Is the Mark II dead or what?

2 Likes

They are not responding. I see a couple throw out links and such on occasion but as far as a real response, they have not offered much of anything.

1 Like

Just set up my new system and can’t install this no matter how many times I say “Hey Mycroft, install dice”
https://market.mycroft.ai/skills/b199eb4b-3c1e-4958-b144-ac08986b5b9a

It just doesn’t understand :expressionless:

I’m feeling a bit ripped off here.

1 Like

For anyone looking to see what current issues there are and conversations surrounding those issues I suggest you look here.

If you have any issues you could potentially post within the git also

I noticed in this thread that mycroft-msm is not installed which prevents the installation of skills locally using the cli within terminal of the MK-II.

This would imply they are in the process solving the way in which to install, but like what others are saying you could easily use balena etcher and install a sandbox image; that will enable the installation of skills

Good Luck :slight_smile:

For now I’d like to keep my Mark 2 as it is on Dinkum … I’m assuming it’s the future of Mycroft, but it’s not at all clear if that’s true.

I’ve installed mycroft core on my desktop PC running Ubuntu using the instructions on Linux - Mycroft AI and have learned a lot … hopefully what I’ve learned will be transferable to Dinkum.

1 Like

They lost the dinkum dev so it may be a bit before there is any movement.

yes, I saw that on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Mycroftai/comments/zwkhjj/bootstrapping_a_dinkum_skill_ecosystem/

@vicentpavel @Ion9509 Were you able to get past the loading logo and get your devices working?

@Wolf0 , I’m guessing you figured this out already, but just in case, the issue is that the new Dinkum system is not fully backward compatible with classic core, so to use classic skills they’ll need to be ported to Dinkum, including the “Install Skill” and the “Dice Skill”. once those have been ported you’ll be able to do what you were trying to do.

Just filed the report to the FTC. I’d recommend others do the same. My homebrew device works leaps and bounds above this officially released product.

Do you have a working port of the Dice Skill?

I’ve been following this strange saga (drama?) of the Mark II. I continue to be baffled by the poor communication from the company and the fact that I still, despite reading quite a bit here, have no idea what the real situation is.

When I saw @uptheirons (HUGE Maiden fan as well!) call to report to the FTC I felt neutral about it. On one hand it seemed warranted because it does seem like purchasers didn’t get what they were expecting. On the other hand it felt a little severe, but if the company isn’t giving refunds then maybe it’s not so severe.

I’m going somewhere with this… not sure if anyone here listens to the “Malicious Life” podcast, but it’s an excellent IT security podcast! Today I listed to an older episode titled “LabMD Vs the FTC” and WOW, what an incredible and sad story of government abuse. No partisan crap, just a very interesting story about one companies abuse from the FTC.
Here’s a link to the episode: https://pca.st/episode/127289c5-0a59-4237-8de7-19802aecf887

After listening to that episode I feel differently about reporting Mark II to the FTC. I don’t believe the MyCroft people are bad people or meant to screw anyone. Maybe they’re just bad at business and made a bunch of mistakes, but not nefarious or ill intentioned. I could be wrong, who really knows. Anyway, listen to that podcast before you report them. Getting the FTC knocking on MyCrofts door would very likely be a death blow and I’m not sure how many here really want that to happen, I know I don’t.

The real shame is how a well intentioned (at least at inception) department like the FTC can become an abusive, destructive force. Shame.

6 Likes

Not sure what’s going on but it seems a bit odd that Mycroft AI is posting on LinkedIn this morning that it has Raspberry Pi 4 s for sale Mycroft AI Inc on LinkedIn: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB

and on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Mycroftai/comments/108rt7x/raspberry_pi_4_2gb_available_for_rrp_us_only/

1 Like

Well crap. That story is awful.

I want mycroft to succeed but I also want to use the units I paid for as intended.

A little clear, open communication would go a long way.

So I amend my statement - don’t report to the FTC… yet. We need an official response with not only why this happened but how this will be remedied with some semblance of a timeline to complete this in.

It is funny my off the shelf cobbled together version with an rpi and seed restudio hat performs better than the official product.

3 Likes

Those are already out of stock. Wow.

For the record, I both bought the Mark II and invested a small amount in Mycroft’s StartEngine (sort of a kickstarter for crowdsourced venture capital) last year.

I am disappointed at the company’s complete 180. In the course of what seemed like a few days, they went from a group who was radically open about development to creepy radio silence like many commercial tech firms. I can only assume this was due to a leadership change. Enough time has passed to conclude that this is the new normal.

I don’t believe there is any reason to involve any regulatory action. You paid slightly more for a Raspberry Pi than you might haver otherwise. So be it. I have lost my tiny StartEngine investment. Mycroft.ai has become just another shadowy tech company who will attempt to raise funds the normal angel investor way. They will not succeed. They do not have enough money to survive competition from Amazon, Google, and Apple if they are competitor without a distinction. They will not raise enough money to last the year.

3 Likes

@mcdonc I agree on the part of “a group who was radically open about development”.

I remember that up to the end of 2021, they recorded most portions of their “stand ups” and put the videos on the web. I commented one time that doing so is “pure genius”. I felt in a way that I was part of the team. But that stopped in 2022. I miss the videos, but understand the pressure. I wouldn’t want my “stand ups” recorded and put on the web. Would you?

Then you write: “to creepy radio silence” - not so sure I would agree on that … We have seen recent posts from “gez”, and “kens” and even the CEO, Michael Lewis. I appreciate them. Yes, they have not addressed the biggest issue (for me) which is the fork of all skills from mycroft-core to “dinkum”. It would be great to see that issue addressed.

In the end, FOSS for voice will win, just as GNU/Linux has supplanted UNIX. The 2020s will be seen as the decade of “voice”, We need patience…

Just my “two cents”, hope it helps…

-Mike Mac