Mycroft-gui on my Mark-II - first light

what screen do you get after autologin from SDDM, if files are configured correctly it should show setup the WIFI screen, after which the same clock homescreen you see when you start up the mycroft-gui application without having to open the application, additionally a slide down panel when pulled from the top via touch, if on login the screen is blank would like a debug log so I can figure out why it didn’t start correctly, try attaching a external keyboard run the following “alt+f2 -> konsole -> plasmashell&” post the output so I can look for errors.

Are you running X11 or Wayland ? since the default is configured to run wayland: https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-devices/blob/c3adedc565bfa085af72ca4a6707375b0934fdf5/overlays/mycroft/etc/sddm.conf.d/autologin.conf#L3

You might need to change that line to X11 which then in your image under “/etc/sddm.conf.d/autologin.conf” would look like "Session=plasma.desktop"

The output is:
Couldn’t start kglobalaccel( from org.kde.kglobalaccel.service: QDBusError(“org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected”, “Not connected D-Bus server”)
Aborting shell load: The activity manager daemon (kactivitymanagerd) is not running.
If this Plasma has been installed into a custom prefix, verify that this D-Bus service dir is known to the system for the daemon to be activatable.
"Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash\nexport $(dbus-launch)

I am running wayland (I assume) as I have to start konsole with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland-egl konsole

my journal is full with

Unknown username “whoopsie” in message bus configuration file

and systemctl status dbus gives me:

● dbus.service - D-Bus System Message Bus
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dbus.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-05-07 21:34:32 UTC; 19h ago
Docs: man:dbus-daemon(1)
Main PID: 481 (dbus-daemon)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 786)
CGroup: /system.slice/dbus.service
└─481 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation --syslog-only
May 08 16:39:24 ubuntu dbus-daemon[481]: Unknown username “whoopsie” in message bus configuration file
May 08 16:39:24 ubuntu dbus-daemon[481]: [system] Reloaded configuration

let’s see where this comes from
There was a section in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf → removed that now the DBus errors are gone.

The difference is that now I have a empty Desktop (besides the wallpaper) while before I had a time in the upper left corner.

Finally

mycroft_gui_20200509_00
mycroft_gui_20200509_01 mycroft_gui_20200509_02
These are the first three screens that see after rebooting the device.

The complete installation instructions can be found here: Mycroft Mark2 GUI using system QT5 and KDE framework on Ubuntu Server

Credits go to @AIIX who wrote the original instructions and helped me a lot.

Have fun - Guhl

3 Likes

Hi,
while it was interesting to get the GUI working on SDDM/plasma-nano I have to confess that it does not run well on the PI3. It just has to little memory to run the complete graphic stack and mycroft.

Therefore I added a section to the end of the instructions above “Alternative: Run mycroft-gui QT5 app” which enables autologon and start the mycroft-gui-app.

This is buy far more responsive than the KDE/plasma-nano.
I will probably switch to a PI4 anyway but just to wrap this up.

Have fun - Guhl

The pi3b might not be powerful enough to run the whole stack in software render, so it would be interesting to know if you have graphics acceleration enabled at all, you can run and check glxgears -info to see if it’s using llvm pipe (software rendering) or v3d

GL_RENDERER = VC4 V3D 2.1
GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 20.2.0-devel (git-ab5590e 2020-05-08 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
GL_VENDOR = Broadcom

302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.321 FPS

I think it is really mainly about memory, …

Hello,first I apologize for commenting on an old thread.
This is my first time dealing with a raspberry pi (have the 4 2GB version)
I have ran the mycroft gui on ubuntu xfce before on a laptop and wanted to build my own mark 2.
after much trail and error. I thank God that He led me to this thread
after following the instructions listed here (https://www.thinkthinkdo.com/trac/project1/wiki/mycroft-gui-mark-2_sys)
(With the exception of using ubuntu 18.04 from the official ubuntu website)

Everything went flawless until i got to this point (Last line on overlays)
(Note: everything was ran over ssh except the wifi setup and adding user)

• sudo cp -v ~/mycroft-devices/overlays/mycroft/etc/mycroft/* /etc/mycroft/
    I receive this error
    cp: cannot stat ‘/home/mycroft/mycroft-devices/overlays/mycroft/etc/mycroft/*’: No such file or directory

after going through the mycroft github I found out that the Directory is not there anymore…
I should have learned from other builds to stop there… but alas I did not.

everything else went ok except the following…

pi config.txt (Sorry don’t know where that is located, First time with Raspberry. Is it the one in /boot?)
(Went ahead and add this(There wasn’t one) and added ```
lcd_rotate=2 # 180 degrees
`and the contance from the site to it. Sudo reboot and nothing changed)

• sudo i2cset -y 1 0x4b 30 (came back Error: Write failed)

• sudo isolate multi-user.target (sudo: isolate: command not found)

and * systemctl start --user mymycroftgui did not pass without errors until I ran systemctl enable --user mymycroftgui

Now my Pi boots, connects to internet, and stops at login screen. After typing in the password it goes to the cli and back to login. I’ve looked through the forum and have no idea what to do when it comes to building/compiling. I just follow directions and love it when a script is able to automate things. (I have no idea how to code. Does HTML,CSS count?)
Can anyone help me get this up and running?..
Also on previous attempts to build this I rotated the screen with
cd /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
sudo nano 40-libinput.conf
and adding the matrix transform -1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1

This seems not to be the case with wayland.

I would really suggest trying MycroftOS alpha 8 with GUI image by @j1nx if you don’t want to go through the whole build an image from scratch thing, can find it at https://www.j1nx.nl/downloads/

For the error on file missing, the location is https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-devices/tree/master/overlays/mark2/etc/mycroft

so should be sudo cp - v ~/mycroft-devices/overlays/mark2/etc/mycroft/* /etc/mycroft

I am not clear as to why you are getting a login screen there shouldn’t be one at all, but since there are multiple methods here on building an image not sure what step you could have exactly followed or missed to get the login stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Yea that worked. the copy went through.
Would like to try the Mycroft OS but really want to build this. That way I somewhat know what’s going on and how to work on it when needed. Plus this way I’m learning more about systems.
Yea. still don’t know why auto login did not work.
After entering password again it still goes to cli and back to login.
Seen your reply to another here

I tried this and now it logs in and shows the mycroft circle going around then it changes to this and sits. It’s been a few mins. Going to let it sit and see what happens.

ssh into it and this is the output from htop

Ok waited a little and still the same.
Did sudo reboot.
starts normal, shows startup screen two times after boot then blank. Nothing…
Thought it was working. Not sure where to go from here. Will have to keep looking around and see what happened.

Also need to get the screen in landscape mode
Startup

Looking at your processes on the htop output it does not look you have the mycroft services running.

Ok good news. I knew God was leading me in that direction.
I didn’t think that the core system was running.
But I also didn’t do some step because they was not in the build guild I was following.
I went to the build that AIIX did that was linked from the one I was following.
Completed the last steps.
(8-9) (Some errors but still moved on. Sorry don’t have the out put of them)
and rebooted. Still nothing.

under ssh I went to cd mycroft-core
./start-mycroft.sh debug

dependencies where missing. fixed them and rebooted…
IT WORKS!!!

4 things still…

1. no audio output

mycroft@ubuntu:~$ sudo service mycroft-speech-client restart Failed to restart mycroft-speech-client.service: Unit mycroft-speech-client.service not found. mycroft@ubuntu:~$ sudo service mycroft-audio restart Failed to restart mycroft-audio.service: Unit mycroft-audio.service not found.
2.screen rotation
3.command to reboot comes back error processing request in mark 2
4.screen times out and wont come on unless touched (but still hears and responds)
5.time is wrong(fixed)
6.does not respond to wakeword ezra. only mycroft. (Might be fixed when rebooted)(fixed)
Only way I was able to pair and know he heard me was by watching the message bus through ssh with ./start-mycroft.sh cli

I appreciate all you guys help! Thank you all so much.

On point 6, I saw youi downloaded the 64bit OS version, so in that case it also downloads the 0.3 precise-runner version. Not sure a ezra model excists for 0.3

• Screen rotation

• What is the image based on plasma-nano or is it launching the mycroft gui application?
  • command to reboot comes back error processing request in mark 2

• screen times out and wont come on unless touched (but still hears and responds)

• Need to turn off all power management, this again depends on how the image is built, if it’s based of ubuntu/kubuntu/neon then remove any power management packages
  • sudo service mycroft-speech-client restart Failed to restart mycroft-speech-client.service

• why is mycroft core running with sudo shouldn’t it be started via user instead of system, also it seems systemd service is failing, try starting it via terminal: ‘’’ cd mycroft-core && bash start-mycroft.sh audio ‘’ ’ for audio output

Sorry for the wait and sorry this was a long reply.

Going by the build instructions i would say plasma-nano since it’s not running a full desktop

Checked and it was. Still, I edited the file and copied past the info to make sure.
Still didn’t work.
This came up from the cli

02:12:40.256 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_wakeword:67 | Wakeword Detected: hey ezra
Removing event mycroft-mark-2.mycroftai:IdleCheck
 02:12:42.835 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Starting idle event
 02:12:42.814 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_record_begin:37 | Begin Recording...
 02:12:43.345 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Showing idle screen in 60 seconds
 02:12:47.990 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_record_end:45 | End Recording...
 02:12:49.185 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_utterance:72 | Utterance: ['reboot']
 02:12:49.795 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Starting idle event
 02:12:50.302 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Showing idle screen in 7.356199999999999 seconds
 02:12:56.547 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Starting idle event
 02:12:56.536 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_record_begin:37 | Begin Recording...
 02:12:57.054 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Showing idle screen in 60 seconds
 02:13:01.327 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_record_end:45 | End Recording...
 02:13:02.513 | INFO     |  1979 | __main__:handle_utterance:72 | Utterance: ['yes']
 02:13:02.972 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Starting idle event
 02:13:03.405 | ERROR    |  1973 | mycroft.skills.mycroft_skill.mycroft_skill:on_error:835 | An error occurred while processing a request in Mark2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mycroft/mycroft-core/mycroft/skills/mycroft_skill/event_container.py", line 66, in wrapper
    handler(message)
  File "/opt/mycroft/skills/mycroft-mark-2.mycroftai/__init__.py", line 234, in handle_system_reboot
    subprocess.call(['/usr/bin/systemctl', 'reboot'])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 287, in call
    with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as p:
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 729, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 1364, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/bin/systemctl': '/usr/bin/systemctl'
 02:13:03.480 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Showing idle screen in 6.9841 seconds
 02:13:03.805 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Starting idle event
 02:13:04.318 | INFO     |  1973 | Mark2 | Showing idle screen in 7.8517 seconds
  ^--- NEWEST ---^

The sudo was ran by me by the advice of another post I seen.
Did this and still no audio
so I ran service mycroft-speech-client restart
this was the results

mycroft@ubuntu:~/mycroft-core$ service mycroft-speech-client restart
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ===
Authentication is required to restart 'mycroft-speech-client.service'.
Multiple identities can be used for authentication:
 1.  Ubuntu (ubuntu)
 2.  mycroft
Choose identity to authenticate as (1-2): 2
Password:
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ===
Failed to restart mycroft-speech-client.service: Unit mycroft-speech-client.service not found.

If its running plasma-nano it should have GitHub - MycroftAI/mycroft-gui-mark-2, pulling down the quick menu from top should show a “Rotate” button that you can use to set your screen rotation.

Does systemd exist on the image ?
‘’’ sudo dpkg -l | grep systemd ‘’’ if not ‘’’ sudo apt-get install systemd’‘’

Try manually starting the mycroft audio client and check for errors ‘’’ cd ~/mycroft-core && ./start-mycroft.sh audio ‘’’

Thank you, Forgot I had seen that in a post before. Only problem is that when rotates it’s up-side-down or sideways.
I seen here that this was just added yesterday to support all 4 rotations. https://github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-gui-mark-2/tree/master/containments/mark2/package/contents/ui/panel/contents/ui/quicksettings
Could I just delete the folder and git clone again and recompile, or would I have to do an uninstall? If so how would I go about doing that.
This was the script used to compile

#### Mycroft-GUI-Mark-2

* `cd ~`
* `git clone https://github.com/MycroftAi/mycroft-gui-mark-2`
* `cd mycroft-gui-mark-2 && mkdir build && cd build`
* `cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DKDE_INSTALL_LIBDIR=lib -DKDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS=ON`
* `make -j2`
* `sudo make install`

Or could I just change a script file in the lib or usr dir?

It does.

mycroft@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep systemd
ii  libnss-systemd:arm64                          237-3ubuntu10.42                         arm64        nss module providing dynamic user and group name resolution
ii  libpam-systemd:arm64                          237-3ubuntu10.42                         arm64        system and service manager - PAM module
ii  libsystemd0:arm64                             237-3ubuntu10.42                         arm64        systemd utility library
ii  networkd-dispatcher                           1.7-0ubuntu3.3                           all          Dispatcher service for systemd-networkd connection status changes
ii  python3-systemd                               234-1build1                              arm64        Python 3 bindings for systemd
ii  systemd                                       237-3ubuntu10.42                         arm64        system and service manager
ii  systemd-sysv                                  237-3ubuntu10.42                         arm64        system and service manager - SysV links

Did, still no sound…
I know when doing the build, the instructions here mycroft-gui-mark-2_sys – TTD-Public
said this.

* `sudo i2cset -y 1 0x4b 30`

Everytime I have ran it, this comes back. Didn’t know if this was part of the issue.

mycroft@ubuntu:~$ sudo i2cset -y 1 0x4b 30
[sudo] password for mycroft:
Error: Write failed

Running that script or just that bit of code should reinstall mycroft-gui-mark-2 package and have your local copy updated, if you want to uninstall the current one you can go into the source folder and remove it with sudo make uninstall it is not necessary

Thank you. Thank God I didn’t have to make uninstall :smile:

After removing all power management packages, The screen still times out, just takes a longer time. (maybe 5 mins. Will watch to see)
and still no audio.
these are the only things that I need working. all else is fine not working
(command to reboot,shutdown as I can use the pull down menu to do these)

For the screen timeout issue would also suggest try adding a power config file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/power.conf followed by a reboot and see if it makes any difference, the contents of it should be:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "ServerLayout0"
        Option "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option "OffTime"     "0"
        Option "BlankTime"   "0"
EndSection