Mycroft Mark II with Home Assistant

Hi! anybody in this thread know if there is a way to get home assistant working with Neon?

1 Like

There is a WIP here:

Hey, I’m the author of the WIP above. That skill pairs with a plugin for OVOS/Neon’s PHAL system (GitHub - OpenVoiceOS/ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant: HomeAssistant PHAL Plugin for OpenVoice OS) to create a full Home Assistant solution. There are a few features that aren’t quite available yet compared to the old Home Assistant skill but we’re working on it.

If you’re running a pretty recent version of Neon, both the skill and plugin are already installed. You can say “open Home Assistant dashboard” or press on the bottom of the screen, then press the Home Assistant icon. That will open an OAuth login page you can use to connect to your Home Assistant instance. Keep in mind that homeassistant.local doesn’t always resolve so you may need to use the IP address. These directions should be available on the skill link above.

Feel free to reach out with questions/issues or open an issue on the repository. There’s an open PR to add support for Automations and Scenes, plus work being done to support input_boolean and helpers, and finally a feature to pass requests directly to the Home Assistant Assist API.

3 Likes

I opened the HA screen today:

after clicking connect and QR code

To make sure I have the latest/greatest I uninstalled and installed HA skill :slight_smile:

(venv) neon@neon:~$ pip uninstall neon-homeassistant-skill ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant
Found existing installation: neon-homeassistant-skill 0.0.11
Uninstalling neon-homeassistant-skill-0.0.11:
Would remove:
/home/neon/venv/bin/neon-homeassistant-skill
/home/neon/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/neon_homeassistant_skill-0.0.11.dist-info/*
/home/neon/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/neon_homeassistant_skill/*
Proceed (Y/n)? y
Successfully uninstalled neon-homeassistant-skill-0.0.11
Found existing installation: ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant 0.0.2a1
Uninstalling ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant-0.0.2a1:
Would remove:
/home/neon/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ovos_PHAL_plugin_homeassistant-0.0.2a1.dist-info/*
/home/neon/venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages/ovos_PHAL_plugin_homeassistant/*
/home/neon/venv/share/applications/ovos-phal-homeassistant.desktop
/home/neon/venv/share/icons/ovos-phal-homeassistant.svg
Proceed (Y/n)? y
Successfully uninstalled ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant-0.0.2a1
(venv) neon@neon:~$ pip install neon-homeassistant-skill
Collecting neon-homeassistant-skill
Downloading neon_homeassistant_skill-0.0.11-py3-none-any.whl (19 kB)
Requirement already satisfied: pfzy<0.4.0,>=0.3.4 in ./venv/lib/python3.7/site-packages (from neon-homeassistant-skill) (0.3.4)
Installing collected packages: neon-homeassistant-skill
Successfully installed neon-homeassistant-skill-0.0.11

Now nothing happens when I ask neon to open the dashboard.

As seen on the neon-cli when i use voice commands:

open home assistant dashboard

I’m pulling up the Home Assistant dashboard on the viewport.

update
after reinstalling ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant the menu is working again.
Now configuring homeassistant.local on my local DNS

2 Likes

Oh this is great I will look into it. I assume having a home assistant server and neon running on the same raspberry pi 4 is too much?

I wouldn’t recommend it. Home Assistant either runs in Docker containers or using their Supervisor, which takes over the whole OS. Neon images are also whole OS images, so they conflict. A Pi 4 with 8GB memory running HA containers might be able to handle it, but better to have separate hardware.

1 Like

OK, I now have the neon ssd and I have home assistant up an running.

Are these the list of commands I should expect to work?

My locations are named as “salon” instead of “living room” for example as I normally default to spanish. I can read it as it was an english speaking person. Would that work or is “living room”, “bedroom”, etc for the moment hardcoded?

Those are just examples. It works with other devices. There isn’t localization for other languages yet, unfortunately, but we’re looking for help there!

I would like to help with Spanish localisation.

The dashboard seems to work fine. But I tried “turn on light 1”

I also created voice assistant alias “light 1” . I get no response from neon. Not error either.

How do you suggest I triage this?

Excellent news about helping with localisation!

I recommend using the latest versions at GitHub - OpenVoiceOS/ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant: HomeAssistant PHAL Plugin for OpenVoice OS and pip install neon-homeassistant-skill==0.0.12. Please note that you must install both at the same time - we did some major rewrites that are not compatible with older versions! If you’re running on Neon, the latest pre-release has the new versions already.

OK, sorry it is either going to take me a while or I need a bit of hand holding. I am running Neon but I don’t want to run the pre release of everything as I don’t feel comfortable with having the openAI stuff running. Can I upgrade the home assistant only?

No worries!

pip install neon-homeassistant-skill==0.0.12 ovos-PHAL-plugin-homeassistant==0.0.2a5

Then restart your services from the Mark 2 top drop-down.

This will drag in some alpha versions of certain ovos dependencies but it will not install the ChatGPT skill.

By the way, the Matrix chat is usually a bit quicker of a response to troubleshooting, and there are multiple people who engage with questions.

OK I think I finally got New Neon working. New SSD and direct Ethernet connection. And I now need to reset home assistant. Is there a way to get home assistant to check if the TV is on and to ask Neon to stop listening? and when the TV is off start listening again?

1 Like

Not currently, but I love the use case! Let me try to put something together in the integration I built for HACS.

2 Likes

Good time of day, people! So, when i ask Neon to open Homeassistant Dashboard, it does in fact opens, but it is empty. No entities at all. I had to configure the skill from the config file editing, because entering HA token from keyboard is ridiculous, and QR codes failed to work for me for some reason. So why is it empty? Perhaps i need to configure something else on HA side or Neon side?