OpenVoiceOS - A bare minimal (production type of) OS based on Buildroot

@g3ar-v Yoy are talking about the precise-lite wake word plugin right?

Perhaps @JarbasAl Might be able to debug this.

1 Like

New development release available;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PUtNXfZ5jMUlVAgyN-KXPdVdX6r51eBw/view?usp=share_link

• OCP error with youtube fixed
  • OCP - QTAV VideoPlayer support (for testing). Video playback is still buggy. We are working on that but for small screen devices not that much of an issue. However as Plasma Bigscreen uses the same codebase there that might be an issue.
  • Other packages are bumped since the last release
2 Likes

@j1nx I think it could be cleaner/easier to have this images on Github releases instead of Drive.

Something like that:

3 Likes

Yeah, I really need to have a look at that. Saw the other day that you can upooad the images as well.

Am a bit lazy on that repo if it comes down to utilizing PR’s and be more descriptive within commits as I am still kind of the only one commiting.

Anyhow, at some point when more people will work on it and / or amount of PR’s increase, i need to do better.

Really not that experienced with git / github.

Feel free to ping me, I can share some knowledge.

1 Like

Showcase of OAuth & Home Assistant;

You scan the QR-Code with your mobile that prompts you for your HASS credentials after which automagically your OpenVoiceOS device gets authorised.

The OAuth PHAL plugin is developed also for future skills such as Spotify and similar.

Please bare in mind that the voice control is not yet implemented but currently being worked by and under control of NeonGecko.

A big shout out of gratitude to our Friends over at NeonGecko.com @NeonClary

4 Likes

Having trouble with this image on my Mark 2 … on booting up it goes into a screen insisting I set up a raspberry pi account but doesn’t bring up an on screen keyboard, can’t get past this step

I tried a 2nd time - re-wrote the image and restarted my Mark 2 and the issue didn’t appear this time. Happy days.

[update] it is responding to ‘Hey Mycroft’ but it’s not obvious from the screen that it has woken up and is listening. Hitting the button on top makes the screen have a highlighted border.

1 Like

The hey mycroft should do the same?!?

We will investigate it.:+1:t2:

Thank tou very much for keep poking at it and reporting back.:muscle:t2:

It’s the least I can do … you’ve made my Mark 2 very useful.

A video presentation @AIIX gave a few months back at the KDE academy explaining OpenVoiceOS.

1 Like

Having a fully local on embedded device STT utilizing the OpenAI Whisper model inferenced using the Tensorflow Lite Runtime, just as the Precise Lite Wake word.

3 Likes

We took the time to blog about OpenVoiceOS - Buildroot edition. So for the people that would like to have a short introduction of what it is all about;

6 Likes

Kinda rubbed me the wrong way that someone is asking about MK2 (arrival) in the stream. Should be made absolutely clear that these are not issues remotely in ovos realm of influence.

Blog post - The History Of OVOS

We have a new blog post up, check it out and learn a bit about OVOS’s history!

5 Likes

ovos-core 0.0.7 was just released!

full changelog: Release Release 0.0.7 · OpenVoiceOS/ovos-core · GitHub

7 Likes

Will you be uploading a new image to your google drive? (or do I need to get to grips with doing it myself). Thanks.

The Buildroot-based image hasn’t been updated since January, but will be updated very soon, now that 0.0.7 is out. In the meantime, there are more current Manjaro-based images available here.

OVOS-Buildroot takes a long time to build, as you’ve discovered, and we don’t have it on CI/CD yet. Most of the time, building the system means tying up @j1nx’s hardware. Our most recently successful fundraising target was to provide a better build system. Once we’ve done that, we should be able to provide images as often as we desire. A “nightly” option might not be out of the question. However, we’re at least a few weeks from seeing that come to fruition, as we’re still at the paperwork stage of becoming a legal entity.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

No apology needed! I appreciate your efforts.

1 Like

Can someone explain the difference between using the Buildroot-based image vs. the Manjaro-based image?

Especially regarding how well each will support the Mark 2 Dev Kit hardware, and how well each will be supported and able to be upgraded going forward?