OpenVoiceOS - A bare minimal (production type of) OS based on Buildroot

The next version takes a bit longer for certain GUI related challenges, but when it is available I will reach out to you for your issues.

The slideshow feature request sounds like a thing for our great skill cruncher called @JarbasAl :yum:

I am in no hurry, I can live without my “Smart” device until the next version.
(well it still works, it’s just showing the wrong time)

I remember seeing someone (JarbasAI?) asking people for skills they wanted, and that is great for me who is techically challenged. (hey, I’m older then my parents was when they started asking me for help with setting digital clocks for them, so I have the right to be techically challenged)

I could never get intrested enough to learn howto create my own skill, but I still enjoy tinkering a little,

If you would like to learn python skill writing a bit, I actually believe a slideshow skill is a very nice starter project.

If you look at the date/time skill and in particular the resting screen bit, you might already get a long way.

(Says me, whole still procrastinate his python learning himself😜)

Posted the solution, yet haven’t mentioned the location in OpenVoiceAI. You have to edit /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/mycroft/skills/__main__.py and change the line with RASPBERRY_PI_PLATFORMS in

Although I think I would be able to do that myself, I will not try unless it is also needed in the next version that comes out.

I have built in my Mycroft in an enclosure that doesn’t let me take out the SD card easily, so I’ll wait untill I need to tear it apart for an upgrade anyway…

Also, would OTA uppgrades be possible in the future?
That would be great for people like me, and for future builders, who want’s to put the Pi in a custom enclosure that doesn’t have openings for the SD card

Sorry, posted it on Github first, but here is a better place:

MycroftOS does not want to speak german with me anymore. I don’t know exactly since when - lately I could hardly deal with MycroftOS - but I get the TTS output announced with an American voice. In the mycroft-cli-client console I see German texts but the voice output is with American intonation. What do I have to do so that the answers are in German? I have already changed the following in mycroft.conf but only it c(marked with #####), but this only changed that Mycroft now “understands” German but does not answer in German:
`{
“play_wav_cmdline”: “paplay %1”,

“play_mp3_cmdline”: “mpg123 %1”,
“ipc_path”: “/ramdisk/mycroft/ipc/”,
“enclosure”: {
“platform”: “MycroftOS”,
“platform_build”: 1
},
“lang”: “de-de”, #####
“listener”: {
“mute_during_output”: false,
“device_name”: “pulse”
},
“tts”: {
“module”: “mimic2”,
“mimic2”: {
“lang”: “de-de”, #####
“url”: “https://mimic-api.mycroft.ai/synthesize?text=”,
“preloaded_cache”: “/opt/mycroft/preloaded_cache/Mimic2”
},
“pulse_duck”: true
},
“skills”: {
“priority_skills”: [
“mycroftos-enclosure-skill”,
“mycroft-pairing”,
“mycroft-volume”
]
},
“log_level”: “INFO”,
“max_allowed_core_version”: 20.8
}`

Mimic2 does support English only. You may want to try

"tts": {
    "google": {
      "lang": "de"
    },
    "module": "google"
  },

I did it with a small change:
“tts”: {
“module”: “google”,
“google”: {
“lang”: “de”
}
},
Now MycroftOS is understanding but the answer needs a lot of time to be spoken. Mostly the spoken answer takes a long time or does not come at all, although the corresponding text appears immediately in the console. Look at the picture. Both sentences “verstanden” and “Der Schaltzustand ist an” are generated by my skill. But only “verstanden” is given as speech immidiatly but not the value information “Der Schaltzustand ist an”

There seem to be mainly problems with sentences from the …/dialog. All phrases that are stored there and are to be retrieved with self.speak_dialog(‘filename’) do NOT work. Statements, which are directly in the script or are generated in the script, are spoken. What can this be?

@JoergZ Am a bit occupied in getting the new system and releases into shape. I am not sure what you mean exactly and how I can reproduce it, but while have a look later when the new release as OVOS is done.

Oh thanks! I hoped you read my comments :slight_smile: I’ve to correct myself: In this moment there is absolutly no voice output - only stored sound files are given back and very short utterances as “on” or “off”. I’m using Google for TTS. Maybe they closed the door a bit?

Lately the forums and chat are filling up with funky - monkey business if it comes down to Google TTS, so won’t be suprised if this is yet another google tts issue.

Just as a headsup;

@GuW Bought this little screen from the donation bucks that floated in over the last weeks/months
https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/4.3inch_DSI_LCD

That for better DSI screen support in future releases. And better screen / touchscreen GUI support in general.

Next on the list to buy are those little USB soundcards @Alcapond pointed out.

I suspected as much. What do you think is the best alternative to google tts?

To be honest, because of this “troubles” and during development I just use Mimic1 as it is fully local. Yes, it doesn’t sound as good but just works.

Great news for me then.

I haven’t been home and fiddeling with my mycroft much, but we had some storms and power outages here, so it rebooted a few times, and lately it seems to give me the right time after reboots, it does not however reconnect to my wifi, it seems like my router takes too long to show up so it starts it’s own Mycroft Wifi.

A small annoyance, but nothing bothering me.

Keep up the good work!

If I use Google TTS this is more a form of web-scraping. Is it possible to use Google-TTS as a registered user and what settings do I have to make?

@j1nx
May be another aspect of TTS-problem: Look at the picture. There are two qustions for the same topic but the devices are different. In the first case the device is named schalter. In the second case the device is named außenthermometer (with the german sharp s). in case one Google TTS answered immediatly. For the answer from case two I’m waiting until now (about 5 minutes gone). May the german sharp s cause the answering delay or stopping of Google TTS? And why can’t your mycroft-cli-client show german umlaute etc. The original Picroft can show german characters, isn’t it?

EDIT: Ten seconds before I asked the second question again (for außenthermometer) and Google TTS answered immediatly! What am mess! (Not real, but no reproducibility of an error is just crap)

Hello, I stumbled on this project and it looks like there was good progress being made and then realized the last post was from Nov. 2019??? Is this still being developed?

Thanks in advance

Oh for sure it is very active lately.

We are wirking hard on a new rebranded release with all the latest goodies. We aimed for Christmas, but unneeded to say we did not make it.

Stay tuned, most likely early January.

1 Like