Possible good hardware for running Mycroft

https://getchip.com/pages/chipprodevkit

Has 2 mics built in and lots of ports, LEDs, gpio etc. for hackability.

Thanks for the link. We haven’t tried running the stack on Chip yet, the biggest concern might be the single core processor vs multi core on the Pi. We will have to get one to experiment with.

Yeah, the CPU is not exactly fast :smiley:.

I have 2 of the normal chips and a pocketchip which have the same CPU . I will have to try to get Mycroft running on it.

It would be good to hear what the recommended hardware software components are for mycroft to run.

Items like suggested microphones and speaker combinations.

The Mark 1 example is running on a Raspberry Pi 3. Is this adequate and responsive enough to provide the ideal user experience. IE is it responsive enough and user does not have to constantly repeat them self.

So far I have found more satisfying experience using Mycoft on my desktop Linux machine. I am using a plain usb mic and my sound card to pc speakers. I enjoy the integration to my desktop applications. Ideally I want to expand to control other home devices, lighting etc. I would like to have my pi version running in my kitchen and have it pair with my desktop for the heavy lifting.

Ideally Mycroft will be my home version of Amazon or Google home hockey puck.

I’ve been looking at hardware also. I think it may come down to how fast the TTS can be processed?

Virtual Machine on Desktop
~/mycroft-core/mimic$ time ./mimic -t “this is a text to speech benchmark”

real 0m2.895s
user 0m0.226s
sys 0m0.009s

Raspberry Pi
~/mycroft-core/mimic $ time ./mimic -t “this is a text to speech benchmark”

real 0m5.811s
user 0m2.121s
sys 0m0.125s

It would be great to know the TTS benchmarks for both mimic and mimic2 on different CPUs/hardware.

kathyreid@kathyreid-N76VZ:~/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core$ time ./mimic -t “this is a text to speech benchmark”
bash: ./mimic: Is a directory

real	0m0.003s
user	0m0.000s
sys	    0m0.000s

and here’s the hardware that’s run on

kathyreid@kathyreid-N76VZ:~/Dropbox/PHPworkspace/mycroft-core$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 58
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
stepping	: 9
microcode	: 0x1f
cpu MHz		: 1199.906
cache size	: 6144 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 8
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm epb spec_ctrl retpoline kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
bugs		: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips	: 4789.26
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
cpu MHz		: 1200.000
core id		: 1
apicid		: 2
initial apicid	: 2
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm epb spec_ctrl retpoline kaiser tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts
power management:

processor	: 2
core id		: 2
apicid		: 4
initial apicid	: 4
power management:

processor	: 3
core id		: 3
apicid		: 6
initial apicid	: 6
power management:

processor	: 4
core id		: 0
apicid		: 1
initial apicid	: 1
power management:

processor	: 5
cpu MHz		: 1200.000
core id		: 1
apicid		: 3
initial apicid	: 3
power management:

processor	: 6
core id		: 2
apicid		: 5
initial apicid	: 5
power management:

processor	: 7
core id		: 3
apicid		: 7
initial apicid	: 7
power management:

I was thinking about an udoo x86 or a up2

https://www.board-db.org/compare/170,147/

Somewhere between a full desktop and a pi. Does anyone have one of these boards?

Would make for an interesting file server, router and Mycroft host

I have an odroid c2 that has quite a bit faster of a cpu than a pi 3 and twice the ram. It is pretty well supported and has the possibility of emmc storage and faster networking. It is an armbian supported device.

NextThing Co/Getchip appears to either be out of business or soon to be there. I would be cautious about buying any of their hardware at this point.

I’ve run mycroft on pi3’s, pine64, a J1900 motherboard, desktops, and servers. I tried to run mycroft on the chip, it wasn’t usable. The j1900 and up all functioned in an expedient manner, but are multiples of capability better. Looking forward, I would start hunting for something much more capable than a pi3 for future versions of mycroft, as I suspect there will be increased requirements for things like a quickly responsive mimic 2. If you have any supplemental local services to run (offline STT/image processing), scale up as needed for your latency desires.

Yeah, it’s a bummer and the CHIP/CHIP Pro weren’t really powerful enough in the first place.

I have three, two doing temp readings on multiple DS18B20’s and a spare. Working great for that.

I have 2 chips and a pocketchip. They are great for a lot of small low resource projects. The built in power management is a killer feature especially on a $9 board.

1 Like