The Mycroft Personal Server - Starting the Conversation

When you are talking about the “official” Mycroft backend server a.k.a. Selene backend: there is a current issue in the Selene Github repo where a community member mentions that he is building a Selene Docker image: https://github.com/MycroftAI/selene-backend/issues/203

1 Like

I’m a bit confused on how to get Mycroft running offline. I understand that the backend has been open sourced. What are the steps to get it set up?

• clone selene-backend and selene-ui into my home folder?
  • Do I need to add anything to my config files?

I’m running Mycroft on a linux machine (Ubuntu 18.04). Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

@JarbasAl i can’t run the server. I’m trying to run start_backend.py with python but i get this response:

python3.6 examples/start_backend.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "examples/start_backend.py", line 5, in <module>
    start_backend()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/backend/__init__.py", line 70, in start_backend
    app = create_app()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/backend/__init__.py", line 41, in create_app
    from personal_mycroft_backend.backend.stt import get_stt_routes
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/backend/stt.py", line 25, in <module>
    engine = STTFactory.create()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/stt/__init__.py", line 228, in create
    return clazz()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/stt/__init__.py", line 74, in __init__
    super(GoogleSTT, self).__init__()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/stt/__init__.py", line 42, in __init__
    super(TokenSTT, self).__init__()
  File "/home/andres/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/personal_mycroft_backend/stt/__init__.py", line 30, in __init__
    self.credential = self.config.get("credential", {})
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

Has anyone tried to run the back end on three Raspberry Pi-4’s? Do the RPi - ARM libraries even exist?

I am also curious about instructions for building and running Mycroft offline. To me the fun of something like mycroft is harnessing the power of AI etc. to actually work for me. If all my data is still being sent to some centralized server it feels more like Alexa etc., like I’m just a pawn in some larger data gathering campaign. I can see how building a business model around that would be hard though!

Hi Steve,

Sorry I am late to this post. I have been actively working on a plan for a self contained home assistant for a number of reasons. The main driver is around privacy, as a security professional the safety of my family and how our data is being used is really important. However, almost as important is about the use of the term smart device(s). In most cases I find that the novelty wears off and these devices in many cases are lacking in smart. This is my opinion is because they need to know us better to become smart, which adds to the privacy issue. For example, set an alarm for 7 am to get up for work - at 5:55 my assistant checks my commute and wakes me at 6am with “appologies for waking you early, however due to x your commute today is running 45 mins late”. Also, things like smart camera, I would like my assistant to wake me at 3am if a person is detect in the back yard. To go further, I would like my devices to be aware of the room they are in, or the room I am in by detecting my phone orr wearable device so when I say turn lights on, I dont get which room but instead the lights in the room I am in come on. I would also like to be able to send it emails and have it coillect information which I could get by asking what do I need to know today - which would be personal to me by looking at my personal mail or collecting data from my stock portfolio or websites - or even seccurity alerts from work. I dont see internet connected being an issue but how and wear my persoanl data is is worth the cost of running a server.

2 Likes

Did you read about www.home-assistant.io ? It’s a open-source advanced domotics system, highly configurable and reliable system for your needs…
And it integrate “easily” to Mycroft