[3rd party device] Chromecast

Skill name: chromecast-skill

User story:

• As a Chromecast user, I want to be able to use the HDMI capabilities of Chromecast to stream from Chromecast to Mycroft

What third party services, data sets or platforms will the Skill interact with?

Are there similar Mycroft Skills already?

• No similar Skills currently

What will the user Speak to trigger the Skill?

• Unknown yet, use cases for Chromecast are not clear

What phrases will Mycroft Speak?

• Unknown yet, use cases for Chromecast are not clear

What Skill Settings will this Skill need to store?

• Unknown yet, use cases for Chromecase are not clear

Other comments?

Pretty much anything with a screen in it in my house has a ChromeCast attached to it. We use them endlessly for Netflix, Youtube, and Plex. I also cast audio from my phone to speakers with ChromeCast Audio. It would be an interesting option for any Mycroft skills with audio output, such as NPR News. Additionally, since you’re getting more and more into displays with the Mark II, you could use a ChromeCast for video output for any skills. For example, you could put the weather forecast up on the screen whenever someone asks what the weather is like. ChromeCast is a quick (not sure how easy) way to add video output to pretty much anything.

2 Likes

I did some testing with chromecast some time ago, and chromecast is rather picky in which video it will play. Most mp4 formats should work though. It seems to work fine with my testscript, that streams random music videoclips from youtube.

Think MTV before it became completely useless…

Tjoen

3 Likes

I use from time to time castnow. It can send any local media or folder with media to chromecast, even URL or torrents as well from the command line. Is written in JS

There is also a desktop app called MkChromecast written in python which is pretty good doing the same.

Both are open source and perhap they could help.

2 Likes