Default skills not working on Raspbian stretch

Hi,

Yesterday I installed Mycroft on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. i got it up and running, but some of the default skills weren’t working, (most noticeably weather and time). When asked “What time is it” or “What is the weather” Mycroft would respond with “I don’t understand” or some variant of it. The relevant skills didn’t appear to be loaded, and using the :skills command on the CLI, some skills, including mycroft-weather and mycroft-date-time were red in colour. The other skills that were also not loaded included mycroft-stock, mycroft-wiki, mycroft-installer, mycroft-npr-news, mycroft-fallback-wolfram-alpha, mycroft-ip and mycroft-fallback-duck-duck-go.

I was able to fix this issue by entering the virtual environment console, and using msm remove package and msm install package for each one.

It’s a pretty straightforward fix, but I wasn’t able to find a solution online, so I’m leaving this as a reference in case it helps someone.

Thanks so much @edwardw for reporting this, we really appreciate your excellent diagnostic information.

I’m a little concerned that default Skills are not installing properly. If you have a few moments spare, would you mind looking at the skills.log to see if that provides any clues to what might be causing the Skills to fail loading originally?

I did two git-installs of Mycroft recently (one on Ubuntu 16.04, the other on plain Debian Stretch) and had similar issues. I observed that for the non-working skills either a) _ _ init _ _.py was missing or b) vocab/dialog folder for en-us was empty. I suspected a git-related issues but did not take the time to dig deeper into it and solved the issue the same way @edwardw did by mycroft-msm uninstall and then installing again.

Thanks for flagging it, I’m not likely to get time to look at it this week, but at least it’s documented in case others have a similar issue.

Hi,

When I was digging through skills.log, I found the following

17:14:06.533 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-fallback-duck-duck-go: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.560 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-npr-news: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.583 - git.cmd - DEBUG - Popen([‘git’, ‘fetch’], cwd=/opt/mycroft/skills/mycroft-timer.mycroftai, universal_newlines=False, shell=None)
17:14:06.604 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on fallback-wolfram-alpha: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.598 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-ip: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.664 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-wiki: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.706 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-stock: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.712 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {“type”: “enclosure.eyes.blink”, “data”: {“side”: “b”}, “context”: null}
17:14:07.003 - SKILLS - DEBUG - {“type”: “recognizer_loop:audio_output_start”, “data”: {}, “context”: null}
17:14:06.717 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-date-time: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.737 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-audio-record: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.741 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-configuration: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.753 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-weather: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.969 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-joke: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)
17:14:06.715 - msm.mycroft_skills_manager - ERROR - Error running install_or_update on mycroft-installer: SkillModified(Uncommitted changes:
D init.py
)

However, I’m not sure what to make from it.