as my tech at home gets more and more complex I wondered if some of you may have been a bit further than me (regarding automation/integration).
What I have
- Home cinema: consisting of an Atmos AVR, beamer and 11 speaker
- Media Center: Intel NUC with 20TB NAS, running OpenMediaVault (Debian Core) and Plex.tv media server, a variety of Docker stuff (bittorrent, sickrage, radarr…)
- Media Client: Vero2 with OSMC (KODI fork)
- Different smart bulbs and plugs flashed with Sonoff/Tasmota controlled by MQTT
- Logitech Harmony Hub
- A new RasPi 4 for our dear friend Mycroft
(7.) The upcoming NVIDIA SHIELD for AI Upscaling and Gesture based Control
(8.) A Harmony Elite remote
What I try to achieve here with mycroft
- Get rid of the remote controls (besides the not-yet-owned Harmony remote)
- Activate “Settings”, e.g.: “Hey Mycroft, Cinema Night” --> plugs go on, beamer starts, lights get red, others get off, some fancy cinema music plays (for the lolz ;)… Or just the “I go to bed” command
- Control the (ambient) lighting; not so easy without Hue stuff and only a mix of mqtt controlled bulbs and some proprietary IR-Bulbs (Harmony got them though)
- Automate some stuff like “Pause” --> Movie pauses, light switches etc.
After a lot of reading and tinkering the state of things seem:
- Need for a software plattform
- Home Assistant: personal favourite but mycroft skill not under dev anymore
- FHEM: Controllable by KODI but no mycroft integration
- Openhab: Mycroft skill under actual development(?)
As I just attached more and more stuff the last 3 years it is now time for a software-infrastructure refresh. For this I need a starting point, and thus, to decide what plattform to use.
Maybe some of you are running similar setups and may share some helping thoughts about all this stuff.