Installation via apt-get not working on Docker image

I am attempting to use Docker to install the Mycroft packages. So far this this, the packages are installed (base image Ubuntu 16.04). But after running service mycroft-messagebus start and the same for the skills I see the following error in both the log files for the services in /var/log. Am I perhaps missing a package?

root@fc075df514b9:/var/log# cat mycroft-messagebus.log 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/mycroft-messagebus", line 9, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from __future__ import absolute_import
ImportError: No module named __future__

I did not get a response in #troubleshooting on Slack, so I am trying my luck here.

Hey dean!
I’m sorry that this didn’t work. You might try using an Ubuntu 16.04 image as the base. (I’ve discovered some differences in builds for 12.04, 14.04, 16.04, etc.) I would love to figure this problem out, becasue its not just docker images.
There is also this method that should work.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try with some different Ubuntu base images. I know the original Docker image for Mycroft, but that one is very large (2.3 Gb). I thought I’d try to slim it down by using the apt-get packages.

Some googling into the error message indicates that it might be related to a Pythonpath environment variable missing, but I am too much of a Python noob to go down that rabbit hole. :slight_smile: