[Mark 1] Eyes partially working - LEDs not working

Hi, I have a Mark 1, and only the 8 LEDs to the right and bottom of the right eye are working - the 4 on the top left of the right eye and the entire left eye never light up. I have only just received this unit via someone else, so I don’t know for sure whether they ever worked. I suppose it is a hardware fault but perhaps it is a known software issue? It is running mycroft-core and mycroft-mark-1 version 18.8.2. Thanks for any help.

Hi there @David_Brazier, thanks for flagging this with us.

The Neopixel eyes are controlled by a small Arduino inside the housing itself. Often, the firmware on the Arduino can be corrupted when the power is cut abruptly. What I’d recommend here is the following;

• Firstly, power off the unit completely for at least one minute
  • Plug the unit back in. The power down forces the firmware to be written to the Arduino again. This happens during the ‘grey eyes’ phase - more info here on the Mark 1 boot sequence.
  • If the eyes are still showing “dead LEDs” then this is likely a hardware error.

Let us know how you go :slight_smile:

Hi @David_Brazier,

You can also try to carefully open your Mark-1 and check the cables running from the pcb-boards to the front panel and to the loudspeaker. Make sure that these cables do not reside near the Arduino. I found that a problem with my Mark1 when the display and eyes did not work correctly…

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

@KathyReid I tried the power cycle, and saw the grey eyes phase on the 8 LEDs only.
@Dominik I also tried reseating all the connectors.

No luck though, is the hardware covered by a warranty?

David

Hi @David_Brazier thanks so much for checking.

If you drop us an email at hello at mycroft dot ai we’ll see what we can do in terms of remediation - we’re running low on a lot of Mark 1 parts at the moment, and won’t be refurnishing supplies of those parts because of the imminent release of the Mark 2. But, let’s see what we can do. If would also be helpful to know your country / location.